Easy Upgrade to Outdated Light Fixture

$100

Give an old outdated light fixture a modern twist! This is a super easy update which takes about 15 minutes and is easy on your pocket too!! Update all those old boob lights!
I recently updated the kids bathroom and one of the many outdated things that needed updating was the old light fixture. It was better that those old boob lights, but it definitely needed something to make it more fun and work well with the bathroom.
We live in a rental so changing out the entire light fixture was not an option. We wanted something that was temporary and removable so we could just take it off without any damage when we leave. Plus, obviously, we wanted to keep it as cheap as possible too! So I decided to buy a basket and make a lampshade out of it! (affiliate link) This is the basket I got.
I started by tracing out the size that was needed for the light fixture. Then I used a heavy duty wire cutter to cut out the basket to fit around the fixture.
I simply held it up and put back the old lampshade. The wires just sit on the lampshade. If you want to switch out the lamp shade too, you can attach the wire basket to the fixture using zip ties.
That's it! Here is the newly updated light fixture. I love how it adds whimsy and a splash of color. It goes really well with the completely revamped kids' bathroom!
I managed to do the entire makeover for under $100 including new faux marble counter tops! Be sure to check out the $100 Kids bathroom makeover to see all the projects! Yes! That counter is not real marble!

• Wire basket  (Target)
  • Wire cutters  (hardware store)

Anika Gandhi

• Car6404086

What is a boob light?
  • User

What about putting some sort of heat resistent paper on top of the basket wire so it becomes a rectangularish lamp shade that would change the look of the lighting some and could potentially add some decor if it could be drawn, color, or painted on with appropriate painting for something on top of the light bulb heat?
    • Kayla Jackson

Or maybe weave something through the wire, maybe thin wood or bamboo strips? I think you can get some at a hardware or craft store or something.

• Nadia Sanchez

Did it make the area like a priso?
    • Itsmemic

I like this idea...walmart now has these really cool baskets on sale for $3.00 each..all colors !