Cat Proof Crate Christmas Tree

Our family has four cats who last year practically destroyed our traditional Christmas Tree and ornaments. This year I wanted to create something they couldn't ruin, and actually might enjoy climbing in!
I first went to Michaels and created a "tree" with 11 large unfinished crates and twin smaller ones on top. I used 5 for the base, 4 for the second layer, 2 for the third tier, and the two smaller ones on top. I found a coupon online so it wasn't as pricy as I thought it would be.
I then set up all the crates outside and spray painted them with a 2&1 primer and paint spray in hunter green.
Once dry I brought the crates inside and arranged my "Tree" on our traditional tree skirt to protect our floors. My husband screwed the crates together with decorative matte brass screws here and there...we want to be able to take it down after the holidays but not have the cats topple it in the meantime. I then added faux poinsettias that I also bought in bunches from Michaels and cut into individual branches.
Finally I added faux pine branches, lights wrapped around from top to bottom, and added our nutcracker collection to the tree. I also hung shatterproof Christmas ornaments on red tartan plaid ribbon in each box, and topped it with a rustic wooden star from Target.

30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home
25 Impressive Ways You Can Update Your Ikea Purchases!
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut
Hometalk's Top 10 Spookiest Halloween Picks Of 2017
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
These 21 Bloggers Came Up With The Most Amazing Organization Ideas

• Mary Boger

Is there such a thing as cat proof? Lol!! I have three days and they would have a big time with this. the. Meow 😸😼😺

• D Dee Weaver

Actually, I have been able to put up my tree at Thanksgiving and it lasts all the way past Christmas WITH TWO CATS THAT ACT LIKE THEY ARE CRAZED somedays! Once the tree is up, I hang the scented sticks that people buy in the holiday decorating section at Walmart, Home Depot, Lowe’s etc that make your fake tree smell more like pine. I hang three in the bottom section and they steer clear. It lasts about 3 or 4 weeks then I replace them with fresh. Best thing is that you can reuse them every year by refilling the little jar with a few drops of spearminty, wintry scented essential oils and they are good to go again :)). It’s worked 3 years in a row now. The cats are just turning 3 soon so yes, they were kittens when we first tried it

• Kelley Snidow Williams

How to use crates for garage storage

• Lit15598460

how many crates did you use?

• Teresa Johns Resig

Love this. I don’t have cats but I think it would be great to display our santa collection!

• on Jul 11, 2020

Sorry for chiming in to this thread so late, but I just had to share this in case it helps someone out. I wish I had gotten this advice years ago as a cat owner.

This is a lovely idea!

My best advice?

Give the book " Ultimate Cat Secrets" a read.

It really is the only long-term solution to discipline your cat, OP.

This might come as a surprise to you, but your cat actually wants to obey you.

It’s kitty’s independent, sassy nature that makes you fall in love with him, but it’s this very attitude that makes it frustrating to train fun behaviours into your favourite feline.

Cats respond best to positive reinforcement – yelling, punishing or disciplining your cat just won’t work.

In my opinion, Ultimate Cat Secrets is a must-have for all cat lovers. It's not just a cat training manual – it’s one of the quickest and most comprehensive guides to living with a cat that I’ve ever seen.

The easy access audio format makes it a breeze to digest from your computer or your mobile device and the lessons inside are easy to implement. And if that’s not enough for you, ordering now will score you FIVE great bonuses:

1) How to toilet train your cat and get rid of that stinky litter box forever.

2) Extra tips audio program which includes basic first aid and tips on my favourite kitty calming remedy.

3) Pet medical recorder – an absolute essential for parents of asthma cats or any kitty with a chronic medical condition.

4) Downloadable transcripts of the entire program and all the bonus materials.

5) 100 recipes to pamper your feline friend.

I HIGHLY recommend it.

Here's a link to their site