Cat Proof Crate Christmas Tree

Our family has four cats who last year practically destroyed our traditional Christmas Tree and ornaments. This year I wanted to create something they couldn't ruin, and actually might enjoy climbing in!
cat proof crate christmas tree
I first went to Michaels and created a "tree" with 11 large unfinished crates and twin smaller ones on top. I used 5 for the base, 4 for the second layer, 2 for the third tier, and the two smaller ones on top. I found a coupon online so it wasn't as pricy as I thought it would be.
cat proof crate christmas tree
I then set up all the crates outside and spray painted them with a 2&1 primer and paint spray in hunter green.
cat proof crate christmas tree
Once dry I brought the crates inside and arranged my "Tree" on our traditional tree skirt to protect our floors. My husband screwed the crates together with decorative matte brass screws here and there...we want to be able to take it down after the holidays but not have the cats topple it in the meantime. I then added faux poinsettias that I also bought in bunches from Michaels and cut into individual branches.
cat proof crate christmas tree
Finally I added faux pine branches, lights wrapped around from top to bottom, and added our nutcracker collection to the tree. I also hung shatterproof Christmas ornaments on red tartan plaid ribbon in each box, and topped it with a rustic wooden star from Target.

2&1 Primer and paint (spray) in Hunter Green

• Crystal Gramstorff

I'm not familiar with decorative matte brass screws. Where did you get them (hardware or craft store)?
    What were the dimensions for the crates? I've seen them come in a handful of sizes.
  • Tami Stone

Do your cats jump up & knock off or play with the stuff you’ve put on it?
  • Mary Boger

Is there such a thing as cat proof? Lol!! I have three days and they would have a big time with this. the. Meow 😸😼😺

• D Dee Weaver

Actually, I have been able to put up my tree at Thanksgiving and it lasts all the way past Christmas WITH TWO CATS THAT ACT LIKE THEY ARE CRAZED somedays! Once the tree is up, I hang the scented sticks that people buy in the holiday decorating section at Walmart, Home Depot, Lowe’s etc that make your fake tree smell more like pine. I hang three in the bottom section and they steer clear. It lasts about 3 or 4 weeks then I replace them with fresh. Best thing is that you can reuse them every year by refilling the little jar with a few drops of spearminty, wintry scented essential oils and they are good to go again :)). It’s worked 3 years in a row now. The cats are just turning 3 soon so yes, they were kittens when we first tried it

• Good grief this is cute. I think I will use this idea to display my santas next year. It looks great. I did a display case made from these. I just never thought of the christmas tree aspect. Thanks for the idea

• Dawn

Cute idea and I don't even have a cat. I would love to make this.