My Whimsical Wood Hoop Snowman

We decided to go with a mostly snowman theme for Christmas this year after purchasing this Snowman Top hat Tree topper. So I decided it was time to add a new snowman to the mix.
I picked up 2 wood hoops from the embroidery section while I was shopping.
Then I used a inexpensive Christmas Tree skirt that had glitter throughout, folded it in half and placed it into each hoop, then tightened the screws, and cut off the excess fabric.
Then I placed the hoops where I wanted to connect them, being sure to put the connections where I could easily cover them up, then I used my hot glue gun/glue stick to adhere them together. I probably used more glue than needed but I wanted a good bond and I knew I would be covering this area with a 'scarf'.
Using a scrap piece of fabric, I cut a long strip about 2 inches wide and tied it onto my snowman.
I tied a simple knot, but I did not tie it real tight as I wanted it large enough to hide the tightening mechanism. Then I simply cut the end of my 'scarf' to the length I wanted.
Next I got out some supplies to finish up my snowman. Tacky glue, a couple of buttons, orange and black puffy paint, scissors, a scrap piece of fabric in black/white polka dot print, and a scrap piece of cardboard.
I cut out a hat for my snowman, then used my tacky glue to glue my scrap fabric on my tophat. Cutting off the excess.
Then added my buttons.
The same way I made the hat, I decided this guy needed some boots.
Then I used my puffy paint to paint on his eyes, and carrot nose and I added a few other touches like a hat band, a heart on his scarf, and a patch on his hat.
You could paint the wooden hoops if you want, but I really like the look of the wood. Could also add mittens, or even twigs for arms.
He is snow much fun. :0)
If you are interested I have a fun Giveaway going on right now on my blog.
Check it out here.

ClutteredCorkBoard

• Edi11361621

how did you attached the hoops? did you glue them together?

• ClutteredCorkBoard

Yes, I used my hot glue gun/glue stick to glue them together. (I used quite a bit to get a strong bond as I knew I was going to cover it with a scarf)

• Cel12945841

What kind of glue did you use to attach the two hoops together. Thanks

• ClutteredCorkBoard

I used my hot glue gun/glue sticks, I used quite a bit to get a secure bond, knowing I would be covering it with a scarf. (hot glue /hot glue guns are available at most craft stores) e6000 would be a good option as well, would just have to sit until it dried completely.. Hope that helps.

• Priscilla Romans

I did one with hot glue

• Christy

I pre-drilled holes in both hoops. Added a small bolt, lock washer, and nut. This connection makes it secure enough to hang and easy to disassemble for packing away 'til next year!

• Rebecca rath

How did you connect the hoops together?

• Lisa Wise Tufts

Any ideas how I could make something like this weatherproof?

• Gayle Bradley

use an outdoor spray that you use on your patio set or I use my husbands workboot protecter t works lol

• Kathy

I was thinking back to the shower curtains/liners!

• Shelly Hejnal

Plastic tablecloth from dollar store

• Star

USE WHITE PLASTIC GARBAGE BAGS. Star Sullivan

• Jslefeber99

Hummm, exterior glow in the dark spray paint!?! I'd love to see that.

• Shi11009146

Love the snowman with lantern beside. Where can I buy lantern to sit with it?

• Joan

What size were the hoops,

• Barb

Any size will work as long as they are different sizes. As you are buying places together and see if you like how it looks. When you get the pair that you like, just purchase those. I made 3 different ones with all different size hoops. You can even make one with 3 varying size hoops. Let your imagination run wild.

• Debra

How do you make it stand up if you do not want to hang it?