Donna
Donna
  • Simpsonville, SC

How to Make a Gingerbread House Christmas Ornament With Polymer Clay

This cute polymer clay gingerbread house tree ornament is festive and fun for the holiday season! Bright colors and candy details make this sugary sweet abode a special decoration to cherish for years to come.
how to make a gingerbread house christmas ornament with polymer clay, christmas decorations, how to, seasonal holiday decor
I love making things with polymer clay. This clay comes in many wonderful colors and is easy to work with. However, although this tutorial is not difficult, it is probably best suited for those with clay experience or for adventurous beginners.
You must use a glass ball ornament for this clay project, not a plastic one. The first step to make this gingerbread house ornament is to clean your glass Christmas ball with rubbing alcohol. You can find all the specifics for this process on my blog.
Now the fun begins! It's time to start making some clay candy to decorate this gingerbread house decoration. First, I rolled together two snakes of clay to make a striped strip. Then I coiled this strip to make a peppermint candy drop. You can see all the steps on my blog.
Continue to make some candy drops to form a ring of clay around the neck of the ornament. This will support the rest of your clay decorations.
I really enjoyed making my clay houses for this ornament. I used a pen tip to create a little heart-shaped window in each of my houses.
And I added clay sticks to turn my peppermint candies into lollipops to decorate my ornament.
Check out more details and the directions for making your own ornament on my blog! I hope you have a wonderful holiday season!

• Plain glass ball ornament
  • Polymer clay in a variety of colors
  • (optional) fake snow for inside ornament
Donna

• Bonnie

What does yogurt have to do with it?

• Donna

Yes, as I said on my blog post, a small cup makes a convenient holder for your ornament while you're working on it. However, I did not write the headline that appeared in the email newsletter.

• Martha Clausen

This is a cute idea!! My question is about the polymer clay. Are you using the air dry variety or do you need to bake this creation, that iswhy you specified the glass ornament?

• Donna

Yes, I used polymer clay that needs to be oven-baked and yes, that is why this project requires a glass ornament. I'm not sure whether air dry clay would stay put on an ornament. I've never used it, but you could try it. Another option would be to use paper shapes and glue them on an ornament instead.

• Linda

Very nice. Would like to see it when you finish it. Thanks for sharing. Merry Christmas.

• Donna

Thanks! The top photo shows the completed ornament. There are more photos on my blog post if you are interested. Happy holidays!

• Pat krauchune

One can use a plastic ornament and use Makin's Clay, an air dry polymer clay...that way it does not need to be cured in an oven!