Melanie
Melanie
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Canada

Snowman Hanging Planter

1 Day

Well we have got our first taste of winter here in Canada and it isn't nice, but along with the cold comes the urge to decorate. If anyone has seen any of my posts I like to decorate for the entire season not just Christmas so when I was deciding to do my hanging baskets of greenery I automatically thought of snowmen!!
snowman hanging planter, gardening
First step was to paint my hanging baskets. I had every intention of using spray paint but it is very cold here so I couldn't spray outdoors so I opted for using a can of primer and sealer for outdoors to do my baskets.
snowman hanging planter, gardening
After the baskets were dry I took two pieces of foam paper in black and orange and drew eyes and carrot noses.
snowman hanging planter, gardening
I glued them on with an outdoor glue and drew on a smile with a black permanent marker.
snowman hanging planter, gardening
Next step is choosing two types of ribbon, one will go around the top and the other around the bottom like a scarf.
snowman hanging planter, gardening
So apply your glue to the top rim and add your ribbon.
snowman hanging planter, gardening
Here it is with the ribbon attached. I used a clip to hold it in place until the glue dried. Next step attach your ribbon around the bottom. I tied it over to look like a scarf.
snowman hanging planter, gardening
Here's what it should look like when its finished.
snowman hanging planter, gardening
And here is what it looks like with the greenery added. Aren't they adorable?

• Hanging baskets
  • Can of white exterior paint
  • 2 pieces of foam paper, orange and black

• Sandra elder

where did you get the snow flakes? I LOVE THIS IDEA

• Kate Bush

I have a lot of lovley hankies that belonged to my childrens Great Grandmother.and I would like to give one to each girl with something special pined on them or do something special with them as a memory. Any ideas

• Linda Jowers

Not sure how this question landed here, but used 3 gift handkerchiefs from my aunts pinned around the wrapped stems on my daughter's wedding bouquet. Second wedding, gave special memories to her since all her great-aunts had passed away by then. Have pictures if anyone wants to see idea.

• Mary Parent

Love this project. How did you keep the greenery in the pots. Floral foam? Gravel? Dirt?

• Melanie

Hi Mary,I just filled them with soil from my garden. Happy New Year!