Snowman Hanging Planter

1 Day

Well we have got our first taste of winter here in Canada and it isn't nice, but along with the cold comes the urge to decorate. If anyone has seen any of my posts I like to decorate for the entire season, not just Christmas, so when I was deciding to do my hanging baskets of greenery I automatically thought of snowmen!!!

Here's what you'll need:

• hanging baskets
  • paint
  • paintbrush
  • foam paper in black and orange
  • glue
  • sharpie
  • ribbon
  • scissors
  • plants

Paint

Paint

First step was to paint my hanging baskets. I had every intention of using spray paint but it is very cold here so I couldn't spray outdoors so I opted for using a can of primer and sealer for outdoors to do my baskets.

Draw Eyes and Noses

Draw Eyes and Noses

After the baskets were dry I took two pieces of foam paper in black and orange and drew eyes and carrot noses.

Add Eyes and Noses

Add Eyes and Noses

I glued them on with an outdoor glue and drew on a smile with a black permanent marker.

Add Ribbon

Add Ribbon

Next step is choosing two types of ribbon, one will go around the top and the other around the bottom like a scarf.

DIY Snowman Planter

So apply your glue to the top rim and add your ribbon.

Easy Snowman Planter

Here it is with the ribbon attached. I used a clip to hold it in place until the glue dried. Next step attach your ribbon around the bottom. I tied it over to look like a scarf.

Hanging Snowman Planter

Here's what it should look like when its finished.

Hang

Hang

And here is what it looks like with the greenery added. Aren't they adorable?

How do you decorate for the holidays? Let me know in the comments down below.

• Hanging baskets
  • Can of white exterior paint
  • 2 pieces of foam paper, orange and black

• Cfr2230743

What kind of greenery did you use?

• Sandra elder

where did you get the snow flakes? I LOVE THIS IDEA

• Kate Bush

I have a lot of lovley hankies that belonged to my childrens Great Grandmother.and I would like to give one to each girl with something special pined on them or do something special with them as a memory. Any ideas

• Gloria

You could possibly get some little saying embroidered and they could use them on their wedding day as their something old.

• Melanie

Hi Kate, you could put them in picture frames or shadow boxes,then add either a picture of their great grandmother to it and or a quote or a saying of hers done on another piece of paper centred in the middle.

• Carrie Mae OHara

If the hankies are not too delicate, you could make old-fashioned. "Church Dolls" out of them. In the center of the hankie, place a small ball made of white fabric, about the size of a golf ball. That's her head, which is tied in place with a pretty, narrow ribbon...I forget the steps to make her arms, but it's probably possible to find complete instructions online.

• Melinda

I would use the hankie as the top of a ring bearer pillow. Use coordinating color satin or poly for other sides of pillows and add pretty ribbon tacked to hankie for tying rings to pillow.

• Melinda

• Melinda

If not used for ring bearer pillow. Pillow could have old broach, earrings, hair combs etc - something pretty tied onto ribbon for pretty dressing table, shadow box or bed accessory.

• Tat5493749

My 93 yr old aunt had doz and dozen of delicate hankies no one wanted them so took it and found a lady that made quilts So I took them all to her and she made me 2 full size quilts and one kingside they all turned out all georges I gave them to my kids they loved the but don't use them my one daughter has hers on bed in spare b- room but takes it off when company come everyome wants one

• Gai7273810

I made angel ornaments out of a few that I had. Using a wooden bead for head and a ribbon tied around center. I wish I had the full directions still. They were easy to make, because I only do easy.

• Linda Jowers

Not sure how this question landed here, but used 3 gift handkerchiefs from my aunts pinned around the wrapped stems on my daughter's wedding bouquet. Second wedding, gave special memories to her since all her great-aunts had passed away by then. Have pictures if anyone wants to see idea.

• Mary Parent

Love this project. How did you keep the greenery in the pots. Floral foam? Gravel? Dirt?

• Melanie

Hi Mary,I just filled them with soil from my garden. Happy New Year!