Shawna Bailey
Shawna Bailey
  • West Orange, NJ

A Wrapping Station on Your Closet Door

$7

I don’t live in a very large house, but I’ve always wanted a wrapping station. Around the holidays, with all the gift wrapping I do for my kids, my nieces and nephews, my parents, my siblings, and my friends, you can imagine the amount of wrapping that happens. I wish I could have one on a cart, but I don't have room for that. So instead I made one that fits on the back of my closet door. It’s close enough to a table that I can grab the supplies I need, wrap the present, and clean-up very quickly. And I don't lose track of my wrapping supplies.
Here's what I did:
Step 1: Gather Your Supplies
closet door wrapping station, closet, doors
I used command hooks, and a short curtain rod for the wrack itself. (Make sure you can fit the rod on your door without it sticking out.) I used ring clips and S hooks from Home Depot to hold my various supplies.
Step 2: Stick on Your Hooks
I followed the instructions on the hook package to securely stick my hooks to the back of my coat closet door. I usually wrap my presents in the kitchen, and our coat closet is nearby, so this was the perfect door to hang it on. I tried to keep it about even, judging with my eye. I didn’t make it perfectly straight, but that doesn't bother me. If you're OCD about things like this, use a level and ruler to measure out where the hooks should go. Then mark it with a pencil, and your hooks should be even and straight.
Step 3: Hang the Curtain Rod
Place the bar on the hooks.
Remember I told you that you should measure the rod first? My rod was a bit too long, and I only realized that after I hung it on the hooks. So I had to take it down, measure it, and then cut it with my dremel saw. If I didn't own a dremel, I probably would have taken a little more time to find one the right length. So if you don't have a saw, make sure to do this beforehand.
Step 4: Add Your Wrapping Supplies
After adding shower hook rings to the rod, I clipped on my wrapping paper. This keeps the wrapping paper from unrolling -- another great thing about this wrapping station.
See all of my wrapping paper?
I used S hooks to hold some of my other items, like bags, ribbons, and scissors. It allows the ribbons to spin freely, and I can easily grab the scissors whenever I need them.
I love how I can cut the ribbon without any hassle.
It's so neat and organized! It makes me want to wrap another present right now.

• Cas5317016

what is it you are holding the wrapping paper with?
    • Kim

Another case of people asking questions that have already been answered in the original post. Might I suggest rereading the post before you ask your questions. The person posting has likely already given thorough thought to everything needing to be included in her directions.

Thank you!

• Jacqueline

How did you put the hooks through your rolls of wrapping paper?

• Sandi McCarthy

You can buy these types of clips near draperies or bathroom essentials. You just pinch the ring to open the clip and hand whatever like from them. 🌞💛☺

• Debbie Alkire

It looks like you have to poke a hole through all of the wrapping paper to hold it?? Is that how it hangs??

• Norma Brown

No, there are little clips on the rings. Just squeeze to open, then clip them over the top edge of the roll.

• Norma Brown

Might try something really similar.

• Kim

Love this! Great use of vertical space. I have all of my wrapping supplies in plastic containers designed to hold wrapping paper but they take up floor space needed in the closet. I can see your fabulous solution being used for a number of items which would be better accessed with this vertical storage solution!!!! A million thanks!