If You Don't Have a Leg to Stand on - Grab a Book or Three

$10

We found this little "something" at a thrift store just down the road from us. I'm not sure what she was originally, but she was badly water damaged and had no legs, bottom or back.

The first thing we did was try and get rid of the watermarks. We started with a low-grit sandpaper and gradually moved up to a slightly higher grit. Fortunately for us the stains weren’t as deep as we originally thought.

To create a new back and bottom for the “something” we used pegboard, which we cut to size and stuck it on with wood glue and some nails. We dressed her up in a gorgeous warm brown water resistant wood stain. Now she finally had a back and a bottom and she was dressed to kill.

But she didn’t have a leg to stand on and no-one was going to take her seriously. She was just too short ;-) We had to make a plan. Fortunately we have a ton of well read Reader’s Digests.

And they were perfect for giving this little beauty a new leg so she could stand proud.

Sadly I had to drill through the books to make that leg. It's not the first time we had to "hurt" a book or three to make something crafty.

I'm old school when it comes to books and still feel really bad if I damage them. Please tell me I'm not the only one. Are you like that too? But in the end it was worth it to make sure the "something" was stable. I would love to know what you think of the idea and if you want to see the full tutorial you can find it here.

18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss
15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
21 Ways To Use Those Pickle Jars You've Been Saving
25 Decor Ideas That Will Add Some Spring to Your Home
Michelle Leslie

• K lenoro
    K lenoro

This looks great!! how did you keep the books in place?

• Angeline VanDyke
    Angeline VanDyke

Can you tell us how you made the drawer front look so amazing?

• Evelyn McMullen
    Evelyn McMullen

did you glue the books together? just my luck they'd all fall over.

• Sandra L Warren
      Sandra L Warren

Seems you could have put the threadbar (rod, rebar) through and glue them as well so they won't spin. I have only a few favorite projects here on Hometalk that I absolutely love and this is one of those. I think I would make a bit more of the spines visible from the front as I love that look.

• Leslie
    Leslie

You are not alone in having your feelings about books. I think many people have a love for the printed page no matter how much technology is out there. That being said what you did with your disabled table is magnificent. Thank you for sharing your project, It is not only beautiful and quirky in a good way, but you recycled books that if sold or given away might be read and then discarded. High five to you

• Terrell Sanzone
      Terrell Sanzone

We have a wonderful 2nd hand bookstore near us which buys and sells used books. Thing is they have a bin outside loaded with books considered 'damaged'. If I am making a project that calls for any harm being done to a book I usually go through there to find what I need. Very cute! I have been seriously considering doing this as a way to elevate our platform bed :)

• Jennifer
    Jennifer

I love it! It looks like a podium. I feel the same about books, but I believe they enjoy surviving no matter what form they take.