If You Don't Have a Leg to Stand on - Grab a Book or Three

$10

We found this little "something" at a thrift store just down the road from us. I'm not sure what she was originally, but she was badly water damaged and had no legs, bottom or back.

if you don t have a leg to stand on grab a book or three

The first thing we did was try and get rid of the watermarks. We started with a low-grit sandpaper and gradually moved up to a slightly higher grit. Fortunately for us the stains weren’t as deep as we originally thought.

To create a new back and bottom for the “something” we used pegboard, which we cut to size and stuck it on with wood glue and some nails. We dressed her up in a gorgeous warm brown water resistant wood stain. Now she finally had a back and a bottom and she was dressed to kill.

But she didn’t have a leg to stand on and no-one was going to take her seriously. She was just too short ;-) We had to make a plan. Fortunately we have a ton of well read Reader’s Digests.

And they were perfect for giving this little beauty a new leg so she could stand proud.

Sadly I had to drill through the books to make that leg. It's not the first time we had to "hurt" a book or three to make something crafty.

I'm old school when it comes to books and still feel really bad if I damage them. Please tell me I'm not the only one. Are you like that too? But in the end it was worth it to make sure the "something" was stable. I would love to know what you think of the idea and if you want to see the full tutorial you can find it here.

A Crafty Mix - Michelle

• Angeline VanDyke

Can you tell us how you made the drawer front look so amazing?

• Evelyn McMullen

did you glue the books together? just my luck they'd all fall over.

• A Crafty Mix - Michelle

Hi Evelyn, we drilled through the books and inserted a threadbar. I considered using glue but like you I was worried the books would open and fall over

• Elizabeth

Why didn't you post the how-to here? This is the place to post! NOT YOUR BLOG! ADVERTISE SOMEPLACE ELSE opportunistic PEOPLE!

As a policy, I will never go to a blog unless you earn my interest 1st! So YOU LOSE, because although it looks like a nice redone piece, you really need to post here on HOMETALK, earn our interest & THEN people can come check out your NEATO blog! Yup you lost me.