If You Don't Have a Leg to Stand on - Grab a Book or Three

$10

We found this little "something" at a thrift store just down the road from us. I'm not sure what she was originally, but she was badly water damaged and had no legs, bottom or back.

The first thing we did was try and get rid of the watermarks. We started with a low-grit sandpaper and gradually moved up to a slightly higher grit. Fortunately for us the stains weren’t as deep as we originally thought.

To create a new back and bottom for the “something” we used pegboard, which we cut to size and stuck it on with wood glue and some nails. We dressed her up in a gorgeous warm brown water resistant wood stain. Now she finally had a back and a bottom and she was dressed to kill.

But she didn’t have a leg to stand on and no-one was going to take her seriously. She was just too short ;-) We had to make a plan. Fortunately we have a ton of well read Reader’s Digests.

And they were perfect for giving this little beauty a new leg so she could stand proud.

Sadly I had to drill through the books to make that leg. It's not the first time we had to "hurt" a book or three to make something crafty.

I'm old school when it comes to books and still feel really bad if I damage them. Please tell me I'm not the only one. Are you like that too? But in the end it was worth it to make sure the "something" was stable. I would love to know what you think of the idea and if you want to see the full tutorial you can find it here.

Michelle Leslie

• Micheal

I think it's wonderful. But I'm like you too. The thought of defacing a book really makes me uneasy. I love the way it turns out though. I can see it in a study being well used.

• Barbars

This is very creative, I never could have imagined what you ended up looking at what you started with.