Thrift Diving
Thrift Diving
  • Silver Spring, MD

How to Make a Herringbone Laptop Tray

With my garage workshop makeover, I’ve been wanting to create a workspace that allows me to bring a computer in. I do a ton of video and pictures for blog posts, and it sucks having to run downstairs to my office to upload those pics and videos in the middle of projects.
Before, there was no way I could even think of bringing a laptop into this area!
I decided to not just clean my workbench, but to make a
how to make a herringbone laptop tray, how to
I used my empire square to mark each board into 7″ pieces to use for the herringbone pattern. I could get two 7″ pieces from each board.
It’s really easy to create this pattern, just by staggering them at right angles!
Once I got the fit just right, I used wood glue to secure the pieces.
Anyhow, the smaller pieces needed to be specially cut to get them to fit. You can use a miter saw or a jigsaw.
I used my power drill to screw in the legs in the pocket holes..
AFTER!
Now, it will be up high and out of harm’s way, while still allowing me to be productive in one workspace instead of being spread out over the house.
I’m thinking of making another one for the bedroom, but with “good” wood.
Not bad for scrap wood that didn’t cost me a dime, right??
To know the step by step procedure on how I did this, just head over to my blog. Hope to see you there. Oh, Don't forget to leave a comment. I would like to hear your thoughts on this project.
Thrift Diving

• MJ Mulligan

How did the edges get made? Is it a piece of laminate? It's very uniform.

• Doris Brady

It's more of a concern. Have you ever seen those keyboard protectors like at some grocery stores? You should get one for your laptop. Or, you are handy, maybe you could teach us how to make one at home. One spill and it could mean the end of your whole laptop. Vacuum often.

• Liz

Don't forget to incorporate a heat resistant slip free pad on top of this stand.
  • Sharon

I just saw a coffee table and an entrance table done like this on Wayfair.com