Asked on Nov 12, 2013

Ottoman instead of a chair?

CindyDanrick Commerce Group, LLCZ
+10

In my living room I have a sofa, loveseat and chair I just recently purchased a ottoman seen pictured I really would have loved to have another chair on that side but I thought it would be too crowded. Does the ottoman look suitable as opposed to a chair.?
  • Cheryl @ Artzzle
    Cheryl @ Artzzle

You have a beautiful space here. Great job with your mix of colors, textures and pattern. I think you could go with either choice ... chair or ottoman. The ottoman works well because the area seems rather tight there, so it gives a bit more clearance to walk through. If you removed the ottoman and the little table beyond it, would you then have enough room for another slipper chair? The window grouping would balance nicely with similar chairs on each side, if it leaves enough clearance to be comfortable for you. But again, the ottoman is fine. It adds interest and still gives you a bit of additional seating. The little table behind it is a bit distracting from this angle. Could it possibly be used somewhere else?

• Cindy
    Cindy

Hi Cheryl the table is one of two end tables it is beside the loveseat. the other one is on the left of the sofa. I really love the new ottomans Thanks for your thoughts.,It's difficult to decide at times

• Jeanette S
    Jeanette S

The Ottoman is PERFECT! I like it because it is a good size that makes it fit in with the rest of your furniture but it also adds a feeling of "pull over closer here and let's chat" that warms the room!

• Babs Donovan
    Babs Donovan

I like the ottoman where it is. And it is a beautiful textural play off the flowers on the chair.

• Nancy Spencer Carlson
    Nancy Spencer Carlson

I like symetry (if I could spell, that would help). The ottoman is good in that it has some height to it, but were it me, I'd probably go with another chair of the same dimensions as the one on the right.

• Cindy
    Cindy

Thanks for all the responses. Nancy, there in lies the dellimma I probably would prefer a chair But one, I purchased it from hayneedle online a year ago and they stopped making this design( Love to know if anyone has spotted this chair any where) . And two, I think it would be a tight squeeze going over to the loveseat. but not quite sure if I will keep the ottoman, decisions decisions !

• Kay Green
    Kay Green

Maybe an armless rocking chair with a coordinating upholstery? It would be a little narrower but still have the height needed. Speaking strictly from a personal perspective, the ottoman is too low to be a comfortable seat, hard to get up and down from (bad knees). I like the symmetry of another chair in that space. Your color scheme is beautiful, blue is my favorite color.

• Carole
    Carole

I agree with Kay Green. It looks lovely but the ottoman seems more of a decorative piece rather than a practical seat. I cannot imagine anyone other than maybe a child using it as a seat. I don't know if it was your intention to just have a decorative feature or whether you need another seat there or think it would look more balanced with one if you like the symmetry of two matching chairs by the window. I think the space would be a bit tight to put two chairs of the same size/style as the one in the picture, unless you moved it over more to where that corner lamp table is on the far side of the window. If you are happy with the look and don't need the extra seating, I would leave it as it is. Personally, I think it looks very nice!

• Janet Smith
    Janet Smith

If you can figure out a way to fit in another chair, I would suggest you do that. The ottoman is pretty, but a chair would be more functional and would look much better. I do love your choice of colors!

• Z
    Z

What a lovely room Cindy. If I'm picturing the rest of the room correctly, I think the ottoman was the right choice. Unless you often have allot of guests this was the right choice.

• Danrick Commerce Group, LLC
    Danrick Commerce Group, LLC

You did the right thing here @Cindy , Ottoman furniture not only performs as furniture but also works a lot as a huge storage.

• Cindy
    Cindy

Thanks for all the comments I saw a chair similar to the one i have in a brown fabric but I don't want it to be too crowded Still trying to come to a decision while I can return the ottoman

• Z
      Z

@Cindy if you're not sure you like it and you don't need it for extra seating then by all means return it. It sounds like you're not completely happy with it. I've learned that if I don't love it, it goes back. Life's too short to live with things we don't like if we don't need to.