Asked on Nov 26, 2016

Help me repurpose!

Susan TurekJoanna SmithBrad Glass
+44

Anyone have any good ideas to help me repurpose this huge protein powder container? It feels too good and sturdy to just throw away.
  • Patriciasalisbury27
    Patriciasalisbury27

Greetings. If it were mine, I would peel or soak off the labels, and use the jar as a counter-top canister for flour or sugar. Just this morning, I was scrounging through all my old, mis-matched plastics for some kind of air-tight container for bread crumbs. If the labels won't come off no matter how much Goo-Gone you use, or if they come off but leave a permanent, sticky residue behind, just cover that part with your own, home-made label. Your jar also would be good to hold cookies or dog treats.
    • Joh7772173
      Joh7772173

Cereal for the kiddo's. Oatmeal for breakfast. Pancake mix. Any dry product used frequently enough to sit on counter.
    Janet Pizaro

Change jar
  • MMo12939289
    MMo12939289

If it were my jar I would take off the labels, fill it half way with glass flat "marbles" then put in a bouquet of branches flocked or sprayed white. or any dried arrangement that you like.
  • Cori Widen
    Cori Widen

You could decoupage pretty napkins on it and use it for storage. There are a ton of these tutorials on Hometalk for decoupaging using paper napkins!
  • Jbe2369847
    Jbe2369847

That is a beautiful color! I would remove the lables.. Make a pretty bow for the lid . Make homemade cookies or anything and give out as Christmas gifts.
  • UpState
    UpState

Take off labels - wash & dry - cut slot hole in top - screw back on - collect all your loose change in it - rainy day or idiot fund !
  • Tracy
    Tracy

I have one just like it. I'm gonna remove the labels as best i can - then - saw one that was painted yellow to look like "Lego"men! then cookies or pet treats who knows the possibilities!

• Chr4787838
    Chr4787838

All are very good ideas. If it were mine I would remove the label then use it to plant herbs in.
  • Ruth Pfeffer
    Ruth Pfeffer

I remove the labels and transfer my unused paint from the metal paint cans into the big plastic jars. I find keeping the paint in the cans can sometimes rust and sometimes the lids get stuck on. So I write on the paint information on the outside and the paint stores much nicer in the plastic bottles.
    • RichandTammy Whiteside
      RichandTammy Whiteside

What an awesome idea! Not only neat and organized but you can actually see what's in it if your container is clear or paint a swatch on the container so you can see how it will look when dry.
  • Tess van Dijk
    Tess van Dijk

After you get the label off add a black belt and black buttons, a red and white fur cap and turn it into a santa.
  • Cli14218519
    Cli14218519

Remove the label, make some homemade hot cocoa mix and give as a holiday gift!
  • Kristin
    Kristin

I have a bajillion of these and I use them as storage containers for all my baking products (we get weevils in FL) and also for my dog's homemade chix jerky.
  • Mary Gendron
    Mary Gendron

Remove labels, decorate or Mod Podge as you like, use to store unusual flour (Hi gluten bread flour) for example. My canisters already have regular flour and you can't tell high gluten apart from regular flour, so the container would solve that problem, also as part of your decorating you can put on some of those blackboard labels to ID the contents.
  • SHAR
    SHAR

Know diabetics could use as safe needle disposers. Yarn fanatics would them. safely clean and store sugar, flour canisters
  • Tira
    Tira

Remove the label, use it to store rice or pasta (add bay leaves to prevent bugs), or put individual packs of chips, fruitsnacks, etc.
  • M. Himef
    M. Himef

I use one in the garage to store burnt-out CFL bulbs. When full, I drop off at the recycle center at Home Depot. No worries about them breaking and releasing the mercury inside. I use another one for dead batteries. Just be sure to tape over the ends of 9-volt batteries so they don't make contact with anything and create a fire hazard.
  • Caz
    Caz

make a hole in the lid and use as grocery bag storage.
  • Lori Meckes Obermark
    Lori Meckes Obermark

Looks like it could be a really cool lampshade once you get the labels off.
  • I scrubbed mine and use them for flour and sugar.
  • Diva
    Diva

Remove the label....makes a great cannister for things like cereal.. I live in the country,
    everything goes in some kind of a container...
    • Ann Smitt
      Ann Smitt

Go to Pinterest.com type Protein Cannister repurpose ideas. Many people wash them out, remove the labels and modpodge artwork or new labels on them and use them for their kitchen storage. Or make a Lego container. Get creative. Enjoy your re-purpose project.
  • Jeanette S
    Jeanette S

Peel off the label, get the sticky off with GooGone! I use these in the pantry. Open a bag of flour and use only half of it? Put bag and all down inside the container. It is great for storing spaghetti! Anything can go in them...Bags of beans, They are great for storing bulk, like sugar!

My daughter just brought me 5 clear ones. After Christmas, I am going to put them to use in the big pantry! I don't bother to label them because you can see what is in them.
  • Tammy Hawkins
    Tammy Hawkins

If this is see-through, I can see many uses. Flickering candles, real or battery operated, of course real candles would need the container to be glass, little sand or table salt on the bottom. Storage is a great idea, again if this is see-through. Depending on the material (as it may need weight if it is plastic), I could see this with a dollar store solar walkway light inserted. I bought one almost a year ago and it is suprisingly still burning brightly every night in my garden, while my many strings of higher priced solar lights have had two battery changes in the past year. I could see this on a patio table, if you have several then placed about the patio or at your home entrance. If you have enough and it is possible, along a walkway. The possibilities are endless! Let us know what you decided.
  • Dora Thompson
    Dora Thompson

If you dehydrate fruits or vegetables, you can remove the label and replace it with the name of the item. Keeping them in the dark will help them keep longer.

• Mary
    Mary

Take off the label, drill the top and add a pretty finial or glass knob. I have one for dog treats, but could use for storage of anything at all. Get some more and you will have a gorgeous set of canisters
  • Carolyn
    Carolyn

e.
    Fill with first aid supplies, gather all the materials needed for a craft project. Gift as a hot wheel, or lego container with labels. Create a bathroom supplies station. Turn into a cookie or candy jar. Put crayons and paper in it for a drawing supply kit. Use as the body for a mantel figure.

• Charlotte Olson
    Charlotte Olson

If it's glass, make some pickled eggs? lot's of 'em, I don't know if you have time? Put in Jars for Christmas gifts?
  • Dorie Minden
    Dorie Minden

If you use protein powder Cut slot and save money for more protein powder or just a piggy bank in general. It is a pretty color and with labels and adhesive removed would not need any extra decoration on it
  • Sti2242965
    Sti2242965

I use one to store washing powder in , that way I can buy big boxes when on offer and it keeps it dry with little clumping
  • Rwm10751948
    Rwm10751948

• Lana Kregerova
    Lana Kregerova

You could use it to store pet food if you have a small pet. Or cut the part off where the lid screws on and paint the bottle put decorative tape around edge that was cut and you have a planter.
  • Mandy Brown
    Mandy Brown

I saw this on Pinterest and thought it was too cute! Could easily work for your container.
  • SueBee
    SueBee

I used a similar jar to make battery recycling containers for my son's preschool. They go through batteries quickly and if kids learn early to recycle, it will become a lifetime habit. I spray painted the jars to look like "the copper top" battery, I probably can't say the name, but you know what I'm talking about. I used the paints that are designed for use on plastic in black and copper then used painters tape to make clean lines for the copper ends leaving the middle black. The tops are large enough for little hands to open easily and they hold any size battery.
  • Bj
    Bj

Remove the label and make it a little container garden.
  • Mel Oliver
    Mel Oliver

Nice base for a gift hamper. Christmas is coming. Pop in a balloon for teen with some small items inside and perhaps other stuff like candy sticks sticking out. Get clear wrap around it and tie a festive ribbon around the base. Or pack it with home made cookies and a teddy on top for a younger child. Would also make a nice sweetie jar. Buy various types of sweets and toss in the jar. Glue on a decorative top item like flower or butterfly. You can stick on wasabi tape around bottle to get different decorative details.
  • Mel Oliver
    Mel Oliver

Sorry, tie ribbon around the "neck" not base.
  • Brad Glass
    Brad Glass

Just let your imagination run free. Take the label off and clean the container. Now you have a container to store flour, baking soda, cereal, toy pieces or anything that will go through the top of the jar. Now if you want to change the appearance just sand the jar with a medium to fine sandpaper, like a 120 grit. Then spray paint with a good paint for plastic. There are several at hardware and building supply stores, like Lowes and Home Depot. If you are going to store food related items, don't paint the inside. Hope this helps.
  • Joanna Smith
    Joanna Smith

I took mine and glued red and white gingham fabric on it, then some sisal rope at the top and bottom. Could be used for any number of storage ideas, but I put some holes in the bottom of mine and planted a red geranium in it.
  • Susan Turek
    Susan Turek

soak labels off and store pasta in it.