Redoing a Front Porch

After doing the back of our house the previous year, we decided to do our front porch in 2014. This is phase 2 of our 6 (maybe 7) phase exterior renovation. We do 1-2 phases per year so we have the winter to save up for the next phase.
My ugly porch
My ugly porch
First I took a hammer and smacked off the broken thin coat on the sides of the concrete...which was actually a lot of fun!
redoing a front porch
I decided to try a technique called Water Staining on the concrete. You have to do an acid wash as prep then neutralize with a baking soda rinse. Once dry and you've taped off the area, you spray on the color(s) you've chosen.
redoing a front porch
redoing a front porch
I gave up trying to protect the siding etc because I knew they were being replaced.
redoing a front porch
Don't forget the sides!
redoing a front porch
After its dried for a few hours you seal it. I would suggest hiring someone to clear coat it. It needs to be very thin and unless you've got a proper sprayer and experience, you're going to put it on too thick!
Since this only needs to last a few years because I'm replacing the walkway and will redo the concrete eventually, it's good enough for now and I'm happy to not have ugly grey concrete.
redoing a front porch
It was also made a lot easier by taking all the railings off first!
redoing a front porch
While Mark was "fixing" my sealing job, I painted all the wood for the porch. I painted the railings, handrails, posts, balusters, brackets and the cap and finial.
Brackets and Flat Sawn Balusters
Brackets and Flat Sawn Balusters
The balusters and brackets are from Olympia Washington and the cap and finial are from Fargo, North Dakota
redoing a front porch
redoing a front porch
Now it's all coming together!
redoing a front porch
redoing a front porch
Because we wanted to do the siding and front door at the same time, it would have to wait until the following year. If we would have a funny looking house for a bit we decided to put in the front garden and trees to make it bearable..but that's another story..
To see the siding project, click the link below

To see more: http://www.hometalk.com/24922042/new-exterior-on-an-old-house?scid=3394943#c-3394943