Restoring History: The Gate House

$40
1 Week
Advanced

The "Gatehouse", as it's called on our property map, was once a stop on the interurban train car that went between Jackson and Battle Creek, MI in the early 1900's.
restoring history the gate house, fences
When we bought this historical estate a couple of years ago, this once-cute little building at the end of the driveway was a bit of an eyesore, but there were so many other things that needed our attention that we really didn't give it much loving... until one day that aluminum siding hanging off in areas was just too much for me and I sent the boys out with a crowbar to remove it!
I never thought those big square posts in the front seemed quite right. And then I came in contact with an old black and white photo and lo and behold, there were once beautiful round pillars where those ugly sided posts now stood! Not to mentioned a GORGEOUS railing around the top - ohhh how I dream of being able to replicate that some day!!
Under the aluminum siding was adorable narrow wood siding....
and a door in the back!
We kept the door for looks, trimming around it with new wood, but it is not functioning, as there is paneling over it from the inside.
We had to do lots of scrubbing and painting. And then I had an "ah ha" moment. I remembered we had found four pillars propped up in the barn and weren't entirely sure where they had originated from. It was a possibility that two of them were originals to the gatehouse, so we put the heavy wooden pillars in the bucket of the tractor and brought them up.
They were about a foot too tall, so the hubby cut the top off so they would fit.
You're probably super curious to see the inside... but I haven't done anything to the interior yet. It has a white wash paneling on the walls and old brown carpet on the floor. (There is a picture on my blog, but it really isn't exciting). The kids keep their lemonade stand in it so they can easily pull it out when the urge hits. :)
To see the pillar project: http://www.kammyskorner.com/2016/07/replicating-drive-way-entry-pillars.html
The restoration projects around here are endless, but little by little, this property is getting new life breathed into it. :) Visit my blog to see loads of projects, our home, history details, etc.

• Paint
  • Wood
Kammy's Korner