Homestead Chronicles
Homestead Chronicles
  • New Straitsville, OH

Start Your Own Lemon Trees From Seed

The process to start your own lemon trees from seeds is much like the process for starting your own apple trees from seeds. The difference is temperature. Apples like it COLD and lemons like it HOT … well, warm, anyway. But before we begin, let me clarify that this was just an experiment! We are aware that these pretty little trees will not produce fruit that is true to the parent (which was never the goal), and in fact, they might not produce at all unless properly grafted. We acknowledge that we still have much to learn about fruit trees, and as we learn more, we will share it with you. I plan to study up on grafting over the winter. Nonetheless, these little trees make lovely house plants and have a pleasant scent. So although they may never produce a thing, they are still fun to have around! Please do not interpret this article to mean more than is intended. Thanks!
Digressing, I did not think to take a lot of photos of the entire process when I did this, because at the time, I wasn’t blogging. However, I will soon go buy some lemons, photograph the process, and edit this post so you can see it as it happens. For now (since I have folks asking), click the link below to see all the steps.
start your own lemon trees from seed, gardening, homesteading, My tallest baby about 10 in this photo but now at about 15
My tallest baby (about 10" in this photo, but now at about 15")
start your own lemon trees from seed, gardening, homesteading, Rooting seeds ready for planting
Rooting seeds ready for planting.
start your own lemon trees from seed, gardening, homesteading, Seedling at a few weeks old
Seedling at a few weeks old.
start your own lemon trees from seed, gardening, homesteading, All my babies
All my babies.
Homestead Chronicles