How to Repurpose Empty Wine Bottles Into Christmas Decor

Is anybody else excited that the Christmas season is here? It's one of my very favorite times of the year, and as a die-hard DIY-er, I love finding creative ways to use the ordinary or unusual to add to my decor. Hang out with me for a little while and see how I transformed some empty wine bottles into unique and fun Christmas decor - simply and with just a few supplies.
You'll need 3 empty bottles for this project. I had a stash of empty wine bottles that someone had shared with me over the summer, but any tall, slender bottles you have will do just fine - think cooking oil or vinegar, sparkling grape juice, etc. You can also scavenge thrift stores and sometimes find some pretty awesome bottles there.
Start by giving them two coats of white craft paint, allowing them to dry between coats. Tip: I found a paint that was specially labeled for painting glass. It worked wonderfully.
Next, paint a top coat in the color of your choice. I chose a bright gold. Did you notice those little bumps underneath the gold paint? That's crackle medium that didn't work this time. If you care to get the rest of that story, visit the original post on my blog. Not to be beaten, I gave some thought to the whole project and came up with another idea:
Using a medium-grit sandpaper, I gave the bottles a light sanding until I had as much white peeking through as I liked. Not exactly the crackle look I had envisioned, but I decided I liked this even better after all! By the way, these kinds of "mess-ups" used to really get under my skin, but now I look at them as a great opportunity to learn something new. And now I have a new look I likely wouldn't have tried otherwise. :)
Next, I stenciled my favorite Christmas word onto the bottles, one letter each. (Know what it is?)
I covered the threads with some gold glitter tape, tied a ribbon around the necks, and added some berry sprays I bought at Michael's during their 70% off Christmas floral sale. That was a huge win - I got these for just 67 cents each!
And here they are! I couldn't be happier with how they turned out.
This is another very simple, yet creative way to use empty bottles, and add to your holiday decor inexpensively. And...I'm just getting started! I'll be back next week with another Christmas DIY project featuring a thrift store find!

• 3 empty wine bottles  (on hand)
  • White craft paint - for glass  (Michael's)
  • Gold craft paint  (Michael's)

20 Ways To Improve Your Drop Cloth
Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
The Cutest Ways to Decorate Your Front Porch for Easter!
These 21 Bloggers Came Up With The Most Amazing Organization Ideas
To Work With My Hands

• Vicky
    Vicky

I really like the look of these but when it comes to painting glass the few times I've tried it the paint always ends up getting scraped and/or chipped off pretty easily. Did you seal these after painting and has it helped to stop that problem?

• To Work With My Hands
      To Work With My Hands

I didn't seal them, but I did use a paint especially for glass. Another tip is to make sure your glass is completely clean before you paint. Finger oil will especially cause problems. Give your glass a rub down with a cotton ball dipped in alcohol, then let it dry before painting. I hope this helps.

• Brenda Adams
    Brenda Adams

The easiest way to do a "crackle" is to brush elmer's glue on the bottle. Let dry. Then put on the gold. When all the gold dries the gold will be "Crackled". I use to do this with acrylic paints on ceramics. Worked wonderfully!!!!

Also, I love these bottles the way you have them done. Simple but elegant.

What about putting in some string lights on the inside.
    • To Work With My Hands
      To Work With My Hands

Hi Brenda! I actually gave that a try a few weeks after this post was written (https://www.hometalk.com/27029014/crackle-medium-vs-white-glue-which-is-best) and had varying results. It's definitely a good option - and worth using for some projects. Lights would be really nice. I just don't care for the cord hanging out, and have yet to find a good way to get around this. Do you have any tips? :)