Frugal Four Season Burlap Wreath

$15

Need a cheap, quick and versatile wreath? This one's for you! All you'll basically need is a pool noodle, glue gun, burlap, and a needle and thread to make a few easy stitches.

Pool Noodle

To create a DIY burlap wreath you'll need:

• Burlap
  • Pool noodle
  • Wreath accents (feel free to get creative here)
  • Glue gun
  • Scissors
  • Needle and thread
  • Twig
  • Masking tape
  • Gardening wire
  • Safety pin
Measure the Burlap
Measure the Burlap

First I measured off the amount of burlap I'd need to cover the noodle, and a little extra width to create a fringed edge as seen below.

Glue Burlap Seams
Glue Burlap Seams

Laying the burlap strips end to end I secured the seams with a glue gun to create one long continuous strip. The strip should roughly be 1 1/2 to 2 times the length of the pool noodle to allow for gathering.

Wrap Pool Noodle with Burlap
Wrap the Pool Noodle with the Burlap

Next, I wrapped the burlap around the noodle to get the measurement for the seam I would be sewing. This makes a tube shape to slide over the noodle.

Sew Burlap
Sew the Burlap Together

I hand stitched with a simple running stitch the entire length of the burlap strip.

Slide Burlap over Pool Noodle
Slide Burlap over the Pool Noodle

Once the seam was finished I could slide the sewn tube over the noodle and give it a scrunched look.

Glue Ends Together
Glue Ends Together

The ends of the pool noodle were cut on an angle for a better fit when joined. I added a twig from outside to the center hole for extra gluing surface and secured all pieces together with a glue gun.

Tape Ends
Tape Ends

I used gardening wire to wrap around and create what would become the hanger at the back for my wreath.

Add a Hanger
Create a Hanger for Your DIY Burlap Wreath

Add Seasonal Decor
Add Seasonal Decor

I made a boutineer of sorts and added a safety pin to it as a means to swap it out with the seasons.

DIY Christmas Wreath

I made a simple burlap bow and glued it as a permanent look to my wreath but the snowflakes are a temporary seasonal accent as is the boutineer.

DIY Summer Wreath

A summer look was a butterfly accent and a bright tulip boutineer.

DIY Fall Wreath

Fall? An owl and autumn leaves of course and spring? I'm thinking....eggs in a nest and tree buds about to burst open. The options are endless...I love the versatility of this project!

DIY Winter Wreath

I thought I'd share my easy 2017 update! I love trying new looks so here I simply stuck in the winter boutineer again and hung a pair of little girls skates that I purchased for decor purposes only. The DIY ideas are endless when you have a blank wreath to play with!

I've just completed a new 2019 version of this versatile wreath seen here:

https://www.hometalk.com/44233983/four-season-interchangeable-burlap-wreath-winter

I'm sure you have some great ideas for seasonal wreaths. Let me know in the comments below!

• Burlap  (Fabric store)
  • Pool noodle  (Dollar Store)
  • Wreath Accents  (Dollar store)

Dollar Store Gem Backsplash
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen

• Cathy Rizzo
    Cathy Rizzo

So I sewed the strips together but when I tried to pull through the noodle, it tore right up to where the fringe is and fell apart. What an I doing wrong? How did you create your fringe?

• Lola beckwith
      Lola beckwith

i think you probably didnt leave the pocket big enough if it is to tight it will stress the material to much and make it fray. i would probably use hot glue and glue it first then stitch it. the glue would keep it from fraying . just an idea.

• Cathy Rizzo
    Cathy Rizzo

• Julie
      Julie

Maybe after you sew it try using tack glue to glue the seams together which would probably help with the fraying/ pulling apart.

• Amber Pine
    Amber Pine

Could you show how to make one of the boutineers?

• Judy Grubowski
      Judy Grubowski

Great job on everyone of them going to make them the best I’ve seen

• Sharon Smith
    Sharon Smith

I am thrilled with this project! We live in the forest and I am always and have been for a very long time, been trying to find "just the right wreath". Well, looky here! As my husband says.

This is perfect for our natural surroundings and I love that you can change the seasonal decor. Thanks so much for sharing!

• Skilled Thrifty Creatives
      Skilled Thrifty Creatives

Thank you Sharon, your comment just made my day more rewarding! I'm thinking like you that it will be the perfect wreath for your surroundings. I kept mine inside because of our harsh weather extremes and I'd suggest having yours protected by a U.V. Scotchgurad or placing it a sheltered porch.

• Barbara
    Barbara

This is such a beautiful wreath...loved the fact that you can use it for any and all seasons. I’m thinking I’d really like to try it for the Easter season.