Lit Spare Mitten Tree

$30

This project is very much in the same vein as the yarn ball tree I did a couple weeks ago, but this one is MUCH less time consuming and I think it is a bit cuter too hehe... This mitten / glove tree can be created with your bag of misfits that many households have or you can order some gloves in bulk for crazy cheap as I did! Simply make a chicken wire base and hot glue the gloves on for this Dr. Suess looking mitten tree!
SUPPLIES: -Chicken Wire -Scissors -50+ pairs of gloves / mittens ... I used loofa gloves I found in bulk for $0.59/pair -Hot Glue -Spray Paint (optional) -Battery Powered Lights
STEP 1: (Optional: Spray paint gloves) This step is optional! If you want your tree to be a certain color and have mismatch gloves you can paint them all the same color or in the colors of your choice. These gloves I ordered were supposed to be mint green, (even were in the pic online) but arrived crazy blue so I decided to make them mint green with some spray paint. The picture on the right shows the before and after. I did a coat of robin's egg blue and a coat of apple green spray paint to get the color I wanted.
STEP 2: Prep the chicken wire core Cut a large square out of your chicken wire. Mine was about 46"x46.
STEP 3: Measure the tree's dimensions Use a ruler as a compass and measure an even distance from one corner in an arc shape on the bottom. You can see that each straight side from the corner is even as well as the distance the entire way around the arc. The image says 24, but I cut mine to 46" all the way around and then cut off excess when I ran out of gloves.
STEP 4: Roll the chicken wire into a standing core Roll your cut out chicken wire into a cone shape and connect the open ends together by twisting the raw cut wire around one another. You are closing the cone shape by matching both straight edges to one another. The arc shape cutout will rest as the base on the bottom.
STEP 5: Start gluing the mittens Now that you have your tree core it is time to add the "branches". Take your painted mittens / gloves (which should be dry now) and start gluing them to the chicken wire form from the top down.
STEP 6: Continue gluing mittens (lift the fingertips) Continue gluing gloves all the way down and around the chicken wire form. Lift up the fingertips from the top gloves and hide the wrist section underneath making sure to cover up all the wire beneath them.
STEP 7: Cut off excess chicken wire Once you run out of gloves cut off most of the excess of the chicken wire from the bottom and fold under any sharp edges.
STEP 8: Wrap lights around the tree and decorate Now simply wrap the tree in a string of battery powered lights and decorate as you please. I chose to keep mine simple, but you could add ornaments or whatever you want!
STEP 9: Turn on those lights and enjoy!
I love this thing... I know it is really silly and whimsical, but it kinda makes me laugh.
I wanted to make this thing much larger, but ran out of gloves... I kinda like it this size though!
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips

• Danica Larson
    Danica Larson

How about tucking the mitten cuffs into the chicken wire, so they could be reused( say, after Christmas, at a homeless shelter?)

• Jan Bahno
      Jan Bahno

Then yu can't spray paint them, if people will be wearing them. But what a nice way to pass on some badly needed gloves to anyone who have to live outdoors sometimes.

• Danica Larson
    Danica Larson

• Eileen
    Eileen

You could cut the gloves into to make or have more gloves or would they have to be doubled ?

• Necee Marie
    Necee Marie

Wow. Very cool idea!

• Nancy
    Nancy
    21 minutes ago

Absolutely LOVE this! Makes me so happy to see it done and how you did it!

I think this will be my Christmas tree 🎄 this year of 2020. Wasn’t going to do one at all, it’s been such an unusual year, with just myself and my dog. I think she’ll love it too! 🤗🎄

Thanks for a great idea!