Common Eco-Friendly Ingredients: What They Are & Where They Come From

Do you ever wonder what makes a so-called "natural" ingredient safer and less toxic than an "unnatural" one? How can you be sure that "eco-friendly" cleaners are really such?

In this post, I break down some of the common cleaning ingredients out there claimed as "eco-friendly" and share what they are and where they actually come from.
Baking Soda is a white crystalline powder called pure sodium bicarbonate. In its pure/natural form, baking soda is called nahcolite, taking its name from its chemical formula. Baking soda helps to dissolve grease & dirt in water.
White Vinegar comes from the process of distilled alcohol undergoing acid fermentation. Vinegar can be mixed with water (1:1 ratio) to create a fantastic all-purpose cleaner that deodorizes and disinfects all in one.
Lemon Juice comes from the fruit of the lemon tree, which is commonly grown in the citrus states of California and Florida. Lemon juice is a natural disinfectant with antibacterial properties.
Castile Soap is purely made from plants (rather than from animal fats as other soaps commonly are). It is named for the Castile region of Spain. It can be used as an all-purpose cleaner, in shampoos, dishwasher detergent & much more!
Essential Oils are the oil of the plant from which they are extracted. It is essential in that it carries the distinctive aroma, or “essence” of the plant. Most essential oils possess antibacterial & anti-fungal properties.
Club Soda is a fancy term for carbonated water. Club soda is known for treating difficult stains, including wine, coffee, and chocolate.

15 Perfectly Round Tables
23 Adorable Ways You Can Make Your Own Coasters
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
How To: Make Hot Glue Placemats + More Crafts Ideas!
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
20 Ways To Incorporate Mosaics Into Your Home
This Organic Life

• Miriam Illions

Thank you so much for this informative post! I enjoyed reading it.

• Julie Bristow

I actually use Castile soap in my carpet cleaner! I put in a little tea tree oil and vinegar was well