Asked on Nov 29, 2016

Showcasing old glass ornaments, making sure they don't break

Linda SantoJulies1949Kerry Ann Bruno
+9

My husband inherited a bunch of old glass ornaments(from his grandmother who passed) from the 60s-70s (very thin glass) that are so amazing, glittery and beautiful. We have children and animals, so putting them on the tree for ME is out of the question, because we would be heart broken if any of them broke.
I have decided that if I put them on some fishing string, they would look amazing hanging from a chandelier we have in our living room, and they will remain unbroken.
Hubby is still worried that because they are so old, that the metal piece on top might come loose, and they might drop.
Any ideas on how to fasten that top metal piece and loop with out damaging them?
I was thinking of putting a little tack stuff that you use to hang papers on the wall with out tape. we are afraid that glue might damage the paint god forbid it drips.
Any ideas would be appreciated!
  • Maybe you could test one or two using Candle Stick'em? I tried glue dots and that didn't work too well. Or maybe you could try layering some of the ornaments in large glass canisters with some faux snow and battery operated string lights?
    Janet Pizaro

Maybe place them in a three tiered serving tray so they are all visual and mix in some string lights for a added effect.
  • Julie Paulson
    Julie Paulson

A glass canister display would also keep the dust off of them. I have some, and they have collected dust over the years from just hanging on the tree. They are equally as delicate to clean.
  • Virginia Parker
    Virginia Parker

I have seen clear plastic ornaments that separate for filling. I wonder if these would work to showcase the old glass ornaments. The plastic ornament could be gluded with a clear glue to prevent separation. This would also keep old ornaments dust free. You could add faux snow or fluffy cotton or polyester to cushion.
  • Marcie Van Deren
    Marcie Van Deren

You could put them in a display case for golf balls or something on that order.
  • Kerry Ann Bruno
    Kerry Ann Bruno

I wanted to share my finished result... I hung them using burlap string and wrapped in garland, on a wreath from michaels...
  • Julies1949
    Julies1949

An alternative and more permanent way to display them would be to fill up a shadow box frame with the ornaments at the bottom. You could add a holiday themed quote to the outside of the glass.
  • Linda Santo
    Linda Santo

The hanger in old glass ornaments is actually a little spring. Gently pull the hanger out and widen the spring until it doesn't turn easily. They are actually quite strong. You'll be fine when they're hanging up.