Tomato Cage Christmas Tree

$0

Use tree scraps, a tomato cage, and an empty planter to create chic Christmas decor! You can decorate the tree to suit any Christmas style. Grab a tomato cage (from your summer garden, perhaps!) and place it upside down in an empty planter.
tomato cage christmas tree, gardening
Use a zip tie to gather the "legs" of the tomato cage and create the triangular tree shape. Take limbs from a fresh Christmas tree (from your own or your local tree lot) and being placing them in the tomato cage.
tomato cage christmas tree, gardening
With the cut end of the branches pointed in, layer branches on planter and on the horizontal rings on the tomato cage. Feel free to cut small twigs off of branches. You can use these later to fill in gaps.
tomato cage christmas tree, gardening
Don't worry if it looks awful at first! As you keep filling in with branches, your tree will take shape. Using larger branches at the bottom, and smaller at the top will help the "tree" shape.
tomato cage christmas tree, gardening
For the top of the tree, place two smaller branches in vertically (standing up). They should have no trouble nestling in amongst the other branches already in place.
tomato cage christmas tree, gardening
Once your tree has taken shape, use pruning shears to trim off any rogue pieces sticking out. And now you can decorate! Use lights, ribbon, berries, etc. The tree can be used with any decor.
tomato cage christmas tree, gardening

• Tomato cage  (hardware store)
  • Planter  (hardware store)
The Kitchen Garten

• Marguerite leonard

I have the same question about it drying out. Your response was it was only on display for 4 weeks. I still don't understand how. Especially with the heat on in your home. A live tree will dry out while sitting in water. I guess I'm just confused as to how this possible. Sorry.

• Cathy Simpson

I would put water in the planter so help with the dryness as well if you have it indoors. I am doing mine outside on my porch with lights and it will stay all winter till its hot and can decorate for other holidays such as valentines and Easter and thanksgiving, Halloween if you put ir up soon enough, even Fourth of July. I live in the mountains and so our summers aren't to bad!! Merry Christmas . And happy decorating!!

• Pam

Where do you get the tree branches from

• Jewell Martin

I love this idea! I happen to be allergic to most cedar trees, so I would use pine, holly, pyracantha and other yard and shrub greens, to which I am not allergic. If you have had the first freeze, you may can find dried flowers and tall weeds along the roadside. All for free! ☺️

• Delores McCall

And at the office

• Brigitte

I use artifical garland in making my tree. If you have room to store you'll have it for next year. I do like the smell of pine, but would be afraid to have indoors. Sure a great idea.

• The Kitchen Garten

Hi Brigitte, I do love the fresh pine smell! Thanks for the tip about using artificial garland!