Mosaic Walkway

$100
1 Week

Our front walkway was just recycled concrete pieces and dirt. I decided I wanted a mosaic walkway and with river rocks, broken pots and small tiles I created a fun colorful path to our front steps. This was an easy project although it did take me a couple of weeks to complete due to age and health issues. A local landscaper quoted $2500 to do this job. I did it for under $100.

This was how the walkway looked. Not only was it dangerous to walk on due to the gaps between the recycled concrete, but it was ugly as well.

This was where I started my mosaic. I first edged the walkway with bender board to hold the shape of the walkway. I removed these later when I was all finished. Then I started placing my rocks between the concrete pieces. I worked in small sections and when I was finished with an area I poured the dry mortar over the rocks. I made sure it was as level as could be and then per the instructions on the mortar bag, I gently watered down the area. The mortar hardened into cement.

This is the completed walkway. Once I was finished placing all the stones between the concrete pieces I then cleaned the concrete pieces and painted each one with a mixture of different colored paints that I had leftover from other projects. My goal was to make them look like sandstone. I also painted several of the river rocks with different colors. Once it was all dry I sealed the entire walkway using Thompson's multi-surface water proof sealer.

Here's how it looks all finished. I used more rocks to create a border on each side of the path to give it a more finished look and to keep the dirt from spilling over the path. I did this almost a year ago and it has stood up to 110 degree F heat and 30 degree F cold. The only thing I've noticed is a slight crack between one of the concrete pieces and mortared area but it's hardly noticeable. As for the brand of mortar I used, I went to Ace Hardware and told them what I was doing and bought what they suggested.

If you're going to do this, you should consult your local hardware store and buy whatever is suggested for your area and climate and maybe put a second coat of sealer on it if you have really cold snowy winters. I only put one coat as I live in southern California. I've been asked why I didn't just use cement between the concrete pieces instead of the dry mortar. The reason is because I was doing this alone and couldn't work with wet cement as it would have been too heavy for me.

* A reader on here suggested to use concrete sand and just water it down when finished. If you want to try that I would suggest talking it over with someone from your local hardware store. If you have anyone who has the strength to mix and pour concrete that's probably the best way to go.

Just so you know, I'm a 66 year old woman with a fused spine so if I can do this anyone can! PS- I spent a lot of time in the jet tub while doing this project. For 2 weeks my old body was screaming at me! lol

UPDATE: We have since moved from this home. The walkway was a hit and the woman who bought the home was a gardener and she said the walkway was the thing that really caught her attention. The walkway was over a year old when we put the house up for sale and it looked just as good then as when I finished it.

The paint I used to get the sandstone look was outdoor acrylic paint and the colors were light peach, brown, beige and white. All of the paint was left over from other outside projects. I used a large sponge and rags to apply and blend the paint.

• Cardinal

I'm so excited to try this later in Spring. You said you spent around $100, but the mortar link shows Amazon selling 1 bag for $76 with huge shipping cost. You said you used 4 bags which would be well over $500 just for mortar. Did you use a different brand than what's in the link, or ...please tell me what I'm missing.

Also, could you add a paragraph regarding how you prepared and did the color the concrete? You mentioned you sealed It, but I'm interested in the process before you got there. I'm not intuitively artistic, so I need directions. It looks so real. I'm soon excited!!

• Debbie

My mind was racing after reading this article because I have the same type of situation with a dangerous flagstone path and have been trying to figure out what to do about it for the last couple years. This is perfect BUT.... I am turning 60 in a couple months and my body would never tolerate doing this kind of work anymore. So when i read your comment I had to laugh. In my younger days I did a lot of this type of heavy duty landscaping and home remodeling and I miss doing it so much. I want it so badly I am going to reach out to friends to see if I can get some muscle help. Yes, getting old sucks but I often remind myself many never get the opportunity to do so.

• Cardinal

Hi Eileen. I'm so excited to try this but need clarity. I sent this question but don't see where it posted. You said you did whole project around $100, but Amazon has the mortar priced at about $76/bag which would bring this project up to several hundred dollars for everything. How did you get it around $100. Was it a different kind of mortar mix than the one listed?

Also Is the bender board easy to cut, bend and work with? I'm not very strong. Thanks so much!! Keep up the fun/good work.

• Toni Franchino Riggio

This is the best tutorial I’ve seen on this site! Great job! I will be starting this soon. Thanks!