FAUX METAL LETTERS FROM CARDBOARD

I love industrial looking metal letters! However I'm not such a fan of the actual pricing of them. So recently I decided to be a little out there and try and make them from a cardboard box! Crazy idea huh? But I think I may have just pulled it off....
Here's the cardboard box I started with (yup it also happens to be an ikea box...my sofa got delivered in there..can you believe?!) I planned to display these letters in my dining room which is undergoing a huge makeover - CLICK HERE TO CHECK OUT MY OTHER ROOM MAKEOVERS (Can you tell I love colour?)
faux metal letters from cardboard
MATERIALS USED:
TO BUILD:
Cardboard box from IKEA
My faithful glue gun
Tape
Scissors
Exacto knife and (optional)Mat and rotary cutter
Letter template: YOU CAN DOWNLOAD ON MY BLOG AT THE LINK BELOW
Glue – I always use this brand
Newspaper

TO PAINT:
Valspar flat light grey paint or any other acrylic type grey paint
Rustoleum white spray paint
Rustoleum Bronze paint
Silver spray paint
Art paint brush
Turmeric powder (yes the cooking kind) or you could use cinnamon powder
Rub N Buff Wax – this stuff is awesome when trying to achieve a metallic look. You can get the exact source list on my blog
HOW TO:
-Print off templates from my blog
faux metal letters from cardboard
Tape each template in place to your cardboard and cut around the outlines using your knife .
faux metal letters from cardboard
Now that you have your cardboard letters cut and ready , you need to add the ‘3D aspect’. To do this, cut long pieces of cardboard from your box and then stick them in place around your cardboard letters. You should end up with this
faux metal letters from cardboard
The cardboard I had used was quite thick so it had a jaggedly looking outline where it had been cut. I just knew it wouldn’t look good if I painted over it as it was. That’s where the idea to paper mache comes in.
faux metal letters from cardboard
Next paint..... now there is a method to this! Check out my blog link below to get the full details of how I PAINTED these letters to look galvanized.
faux metal letters from cardboard
Here's how they ended up looking! What do you think? I hung them on my HUGE CHALKBOARD WALL IN MY DINING ROOM - CLICK HERE TO SEE THEM
faux metal letters from cardboard
Dont forget to visit the link below for all the details!
Medina at Grillo Designs

• Angela Cole

I was actually just thinking of doing this when I happened to run across the project. Awesome! I'm also kinda thinking.. why not just leave the paper maché look? Could be very cute..

• David Reyes

Great Post!!!!!Good information.I like your faux metal letters.It is very nice and good.All information is very useful and helpful for everyone.Keep sharing more post like this.

decorative metal letters

• David Reyes

decorative metal letters