Flakes the Snowman

$20

I moved to South Carolina 5 years ago from Pennsylvania. I can't say I miss the snow, but I do miss snowmen.
flakes the snowman
I started with 2 matching car tires. Painted them with Valspar paint/primer white. EDIT*****Get your tires for FREE by going to any "tire guy" and asking if you could take a few of their old/used tires. They have to PAY to remove them - I always get big smiles and and a PLEASE DO! So, if they want to charge you, go to the next guy!
flakes the snowman
Got a little Tractor tire - painted that white too!
flakes the snowman
Found a Motorcycle tire - I painted that one in Nautical. Again I used Valspar's Paint/Primer.
flakes the snowman
This is part of his scarf. I also painted it in Nautical. This was made by cutting a piece of inner tube in the shape of a scarf, the knot is also a piece of inner tube and it's "tied" together with a screw. Seriously, it works!
flakes the snowman
Found a big bouncy ball (the ones you buy kids in Walmart). Painted that white!
flakes the snowman
A friend of mine had some extra rebar AND he can weld! According to him - super easy. They got painted in Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer.
flakes the snowman
I added his adorable facial features with some leftover oil based paint I had on hand (except the orange - I did have to buy that!). Time to put his buttons on and access the electricity. It's alive! It's alive!!!
flakes the snowman
*****UPDATE*****

I figured out a way to secure his head! Get a scrap piece of 2x4. I braided some twine that I had on hand, tied it around the 2x4, glued the other end to the bottom of Flakes' head. I used RapidFuse by DAP (find it at Lowe's) to glue it. It sets in 30 secs (very similiar to super glue, so watch your fingers!) and it's interior/exterior.
flakes the snowman
Drop the 2x4 into the opening and set his head on top. If your string is too long, it's ok, you can "roll" the 2x4 to pick up the slack.

Curious about his summer job? Check him out here:

http://www.hometalk.com/27929925/flake-s-summer-job-or-how-to-make-flakes-functional

Flakes got a Halloween Costume! Check him out here:
http://www.hometalk.com/31629969/flakes-the-friendly-ghost
flakes the snowman
Now I'm going shopping for a Top Hat. HAPPY BIRTHDAY Flakes! Flakes is more than a pretty face - Come spring - his "body" is easily removed so that I can plant Potatoes.

• P235/70 R16 Car tires  (Tire guy)
  • 20.5x8.0-10 Tractor tire  (Tire guy)
  • 4.8 - 12 Motorcycle tire  (Tire Guy)

• Mary williams

Yes I will try this for sure, I love snow men they brighten my day. Good jobbbbbbbb.

• Judith Dembowski

Gst me to a tire store! Love this. Live in Florida, gotta have a Flake! Thank you for plans. Can't wait to get started.❤