Closet Door Built-In Storage

$38

Okay, so I have to admit, I have A LOT of shoes. I'm not the type to put away my summer shoes during winter, because you never know when you need a pair of flip flops or open-toe heels during the colder months (call me crazy but I don't stick with the close-toe heel rule...if there is one). Because I don't put away my summer shoes, coupled with the fact that I have a ridiculously small closet, it can look like a hot mess with the quickness. My closet is in my son's room, so even if I line my shoes up nicely, he eventually gets in there and messes them up. Hence, my need for a solution!

You can organize your own closet this spring, with our expert organizer, Meggie Mangione by signing up to our online group workshop.

BEFORE:

HOT MESS!!!

I promise all of my clothes are nicely hung and in some what of a style coordination, however, I don't want to ruin my knit cardigans by hanging them on hangers so I just hang them over the middle of my closet rack. If anyone has a solution to this issue, please feel free to share! I don't have any drawer space for them, otherwise I'd fold them. I'm beginning to think I'm going to need to figure out another project for additional clothes storage (maybe I'll mount some more crates on the wall..?).

SUPPLIES:

-3 pieces of 1x6x8 common board

-2 pieces of 1x2x8 common board

-1 1/4" screws

-1 1/2"-2" trim nails

Not pictured:

-fine grit sand paper

-wood glue

-damp rag

-pencil

-measuring tape

-2 clamps

Tools:

-chop saw

-drill with bit and counter sink

-nail gun

*Note: amount of wood may vary depending on the size of your door and how big you want your storage unit to be.

STEP 1: Measure, cut and sand boards

As mentioned in my supplies list, I purchased (3) 1x6x8 boards and (2) 1x2x8 boards. I cut my boards to the following lengths using a chop saw:

(2) 1x6 – cut to 6’

(5) 1x6 – cut to 16”

(10) 1x2 – cut to 16”

*If you don't have a chop saw, you can have your boards cut at Home Depot or Lowe's, whichever place you purchase them.

I decided to keep my wood unfinished, however, if you want a finish on your boards, I would suggest finishing them before cutting.

After I cut my boards, I knocked off the splinters and edges with a piece of fine grit sandpaper.

Here are my cuts all laid out before assembling them.

STEP 2: Assemble shell of storage unit

First, I measured every 18" on my 6' boards to mark where my shelves would sit. Rob suggested I do this before assembling anything.

Then, I applied wood glue to the edges of one of my 16" 1x6 pieces and positioned it between the top edges of my 6' pieces.

I nailed the outside of the 6' pieces to the inside edge of the 16" 1x6 piece.

In order to easily mount my storage unit, I glued and nailed a 16" 1x2 piece directly under the 16" 1x6 piece.

Once the end was glued and nailed, I attached a clamp to hold everything together until the glued cured.

Repeat these steps for both ends of the storage unit.

Here is the unit all clamped up...now it's time for shelves.

STEP 3: Assemble shelves of storage unit

Much like STEP 2, I assembled my shelves by gluing and nailing the remaining 16" 1x6 pieces of board. Once I put glue on the ends of my 16" pieces, and starting at one end, I placed the top edge of my board on my pencil marks from the first part of STEP 2. Then, I wiped any glue that bled and stapled the end shelves.

STEP 4: Assemble rails of storage unit

For the double rails of each shelf, I knocked in two pieces of 16" 1x2 boards, one at a time. I used two scrap pieces of 16" 1x2 boards for spacers. I didn't use wood glue for this step, because the rails were so tight. I simply used a hammer to gently knock them in place and stapled the ends from the outside of the 6' boards.

STEP 5: Mount storage unit

Finally, I used a counter sink attachment for my drill to pre-drill three holes on the top of my storage unit and three holes on the bottom. Then, I screwed in my screws to make the unit nice and secure.

If you're looking for a way to more simply organize your OWN closet, then we have the solution for you - join our organizing workshop, starting in only 5 days!

I'm really happy with how this built-in storage unit came out for my closet door. I still have a few stragglers sitting on the floor but I feel my closet looks so much more organized, given how small it is.

*Because I only had to purchase the lumber for this project, it was less than $40 total for supplies.

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
30 Amazing Ways To Organize Your Shoes
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
Fun Father's Day Gift Ideas You Can Make Yourself
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
3 Gorgeous Decor Projects In The Oh-So-Chic Geometric Style

• Meli

How about rolling your sweaters? I do this with tees and other knits.

• Laurie Kilts

I too, unfortunately, have the exact same sized closet in my master bedroom as yours (the sacrifices of living in an older home!) I love vintage suite cases and find them fabulous clean (no dust, lint, pet hairs, moths...) storage for my sweaters. I also use them in my guest room closet to help keep my extra office supplies out of sight, tidy and organized, since I chose to have a "studio" for all of my creative outlets instead of a proper office! I also placed my filing cabinet and a smaller high-boy dresser (where I like to neatly stash/organize gift bags/wrap/ribbons, vacuum cleaner bags, etc.!) that I've painted to match the wall paper that I've used on the interior walls of this closet. A Just in case you haven't thought of this already idea for those of us who are closet challenged, I thought I'd share another space saving solution: I've added strips of molding/wood in ladder style fashion, to the interior side wall of my closet with hooks/pegs, what-have-you's, to hang my necklaces, scarves, belts, etc. Hope these ideas can help you ;)

• Mellen40

My only concern is how close are the shoes to the clean hanging clothes?

• Jo-Ann Polise

I love this idea as a solution to many storage problems but I’m concerned about the weight of the unit. Did you have any concerns about this?