Turn Your Soda Cans in Winter Decor

$0

I wanted a metal wreath for winter. They are expensive! While thinking about how to make one, I finished a soda pop. Then I was inspired to try something. I started washing out and saving a few cans. Seventeen cans.
The project was easier than I expected! Plus I had everything on hand.
turn your soda cans in winter decor, home decor
I started with washed out soda cans. Using my crafting scissors, I removed the tops and bottoms of the cans. Then to make the "sheet" of metal lay flat, I rubbed it along the edge of the kitchen counter.
Next, I cut out four basic leaf shapes making 34 leaves. I drew leaves on the computer to print out. Note: I didn't wear gloves, but you can choose to wear gloves.
Then laying the shape on a strip of metal I traced the leaf with a pencil. Then cut out around the indented shape. Note: I didn't wear gloves, but you can choose to wear gloves. Remember "create at your own risk." There is a video on the website too.
So the wreath would read "dr pepper," I spray painted the backs! :)
Using an awl ( or nail would work too ) I made veins on the leaves.
To add color, I used chalked based paints and then alcohol inks. On some leaves, I used only alcohol inks.
Then I hot glued the leaves to a wire wreath frame.
Finished metal leaf wreath. The leaves could be painted in any color. Plus the leaf shapes could be any shapes.
Country Design Style-Jeanette

• Machelle

I love it. What size leaves did you use roughly?

• Diane

I think it's beautiful.

I think I'll add super glue adhesive around the leaves before I paint, too many gabby fingers around here, lol.

Really fall festive, thank you for sharing.

• Kim Kennedy Miller

Aren't the edges dangerous though?

• I thought they were going to be sharp and wore gloves for the first couple of leaves. But soda cans are soft and cut easy now days. But I do tell readers to use gloves. ;)

• Debbie Lafevre

How did u keep from cutting yourself?

• I started my first leaf wearing gloves because I thought the metal would be very sharp. But I quickly found the metal isn't as sharp as I thought. I've made several projects now with soda cans and only poked a finger once. It do think having sharp scissors helps. The cans are easy to cut.