Turn Your Soda Cans in Winter Decor

$0

I wanted a metal wreath for winter. They are expensive! While thinking about how to make one, I finished a soda pop. Then I was inspired to try something. I started washing out and saving a few cans. Seventeen cans.
The project was easier than I expected! Plus I had everything on hand.
I started with washed out soda cans. Using my crafting scissors, I removed the tops and bottoms of the cans. Then to make the "sheet" of metal lay flat, I rubbed it along the edge of the kitchen counter.
Next, I cut out four basic leaf shapes making 34 leaves. I drew leaves on the computer to print out. Note: I didn't wear gloves, but you can choose to wear gloves.
Then laying the shape on a strip of metal I traced the leaf with a pencil. Then cut out around the indented shape. Note: I didn't wear gloves, but you can choose to wear gloves. Remember "create at your own risk." There is a video on the website too.
So the wreath would read "dr pepper," I spray painted the backs! :)
Using an awl ( or nail would work too ) I made veins on the leaves.
To add color, I used chalked based paints and then alcohol inks. On some leaves, I used only alcohol inks.
Then I hot glued the leaves to a wire wreath frame.
Finished metal leaf wreath. The leaves could be painted in any color. Plus the leaf shapes could be any shapes.

30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
15 Genius Hacks to Keep Pests Away
4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home
How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
Country Design Style-Jeanette

• Mcgypsy9
    Mcgypsy9

First of all this came out beautiful! I love fall leaves to begin with and anything made with them is a plus for me. I have tons of cans saved but haven’t tried doing anything with them yet. This sounds like a great starting point! You say you used chalk based paints and then alcohol ink. Do you have more detail of this on your blog?

• Kgaletin
    Kgaletin

Well done! I love your metal

wreath.

• Grandmasue10
      Grandmasue10

Winner, winner chicken dinner! Most "made from cans projects" Look like they were made from cans. Yours is beautiful

• Penny Barrett
    Penny Barrett

I did not notice where you did anything with the edges of the leaves.... a soda can is very sharp. I would be afraid of getting cut. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for dulling the edges down

• Hi, Penny. This is a great question and something I was concerned about when I had the idea. But soda cans are not made like they were years ago. They were easy to cut with my regular scissors. I do recommend wearing gloves for added protection. Although, I didn't and didn't even get a nick. I've heard that some of the newer cutting machines can cut soft metal, but I don't have a newer one so I haven't tried it.