Make Gorgeous Christmas Luminaries Using Mason Jars and Twinkle Lights

It all started when I was returning from a walk this past summer in my community. I happened to walk past a garage sale that was just getting started. There were many lovely treasures for sale but what caught my eye was a large box of mason jars.
Inside this large box were all kinds including half a dozen of the extra-large variety that are used for pickling pickles. The extra-large mason jars immediately gave me a DIY idea for the Christmas season.
I applied 4-inch red glitter stickers to the smooth side of each mason jar to spell the word ‘JOY’. Even though the stickers were self-adhesive I applied them with a permanent transparent adhesive designed for gluing items onto fabrics. I felt the stickers needed something stronger to make sure they stayed on during the chilly winter days and nights where I live. I think any type of strong transparent glue will work that is designed for outdoors.
I bought a box of three twinkle lights at Costco. The good things about the twinkle light is the strands were long and they were quite inexpensive. The other good thing was they were on a timer. All I had to do was turn on the lights at the time I wanted them to go on and they would automatically go off six hours later and then turn back on the next night. The not so good thing is that they came with quite a large battery pack for holding three batteries. When placed at the bottom of the glass jar the white case looked obvious and quite unsightly.
My solution for this problem came from the dollar store.
I covered the battery pack with a handful of red metallic tinsel!
Instead of screwing on the mason jar rim with the original mason jar lid I made my own out of a white foam sheet. This gave the jars a little more of a decorative look. The details for that easy step are on the blog. Then I tied a narrow red ribbon around the top of each mason jar and secured it into a bow.
The completed Christmas luminaries can add some Christmas sparkle to your home both indoors or outdoors! I must admit they look gorgeous during the day sitting on my front porch.
They also look especially gorgeous at night! For more details, I invite you to visit the original post on the blog ‘Time With Thea’!
Take Care,
Thea

• Extra-large mason jars
  • 4-inch red glitter stickers  (Michaels)
  • Heavy duty glue  (Walmart)

Time With Thea

• Jan

These are beautiful but how did you turn the light on with the red strands inside? Do you pull the strands out?

• Trina

Suggestion: You can glue or use double sided tape, the battery pack to the inside top of the lid so that when you need to change the batteries, it will be easily accessible. Of course, I would still use the red tinsel in the bottom as that has such a great effect.

• Anne Coppes

Where did you find tiny lights with timers?

• Cud15744056

I would do the same thing I do with my jams etc around Christmas. I add a pretty piece of material cut in a circle and placed under the screw top. This can be followed with a pretty ribbon . Once you do this you can glue or Velcro the battery to the cover. Then just unscrew the top to flip the switch off and on.

• Grandma

Nice job. You could probably shoot the battery packs with a little red spray paint and they'd be even more camouflaged for next year.
  • Angela Spainhoward

This would work with Hurricane Latrans too.