Jennifer | CrazyDiyMom
Jennifer | CrazyDiyMom
  • Sheboygan, WI

Give an Old Rusty Shovel a New Purpose!

Do you have an old rusty shovel or just an unused shovel laying around? Chances are you do. Or if you don't, just grab one of the spare ones because you are going to love this easy DIY front porch decor idea!
give an old rusty shovel and new purpose
We had quite a few shovels hanging in our garage so I knew my hubby would never notice if one mysteriously went missing. It was one he didn't use much anyway ;)
Take your shovel and wipe it down to get all the dirt off and to remove anything loose off of it and then make sure it is dry.
Next, take out your acrylic paints and a paint brush and start painting!
Isn't that adorable?! Can you believe it's the same rusty shovel?!
I have a love of penguins, so I knew I wanted my shovel to resemble a penguin, but you could paint anything you want onto your shovel.
You could do a welcome sign, a seasonal theme, a holiday theme, you family's name, the name of someone you want to give it as a gift to, the possibilities are endless!
Once you have your shovel painted to your liking, spray the entire base with an acrylic sealer to help protect the paint job a bit and then let it dry.
I also added a little bow to my shovel with some spare burlap ribbon I had left over from a previous project. I tied it in a bow around it and then gave it a little dot of hot glue to hold it onto the shovel.
Once it has all dried completely, put it on display. Doesn't this cute little penguin make the perfect welcome sign for all of your visitors?! He would also make the perfect gift for just about any occasion.
Your shovel doesn't have to be winter themed either! You could make a cute bunny for spring, make it say "welcome" or put the initial of your last name and fancy that shovel up!
Get the full DIY at CrazyDiyMom.com
Happy crafting!

Jennifer | CrazyDiyMom