DIY Wood Sign

This wooden sign style is all the rage and you can make one! Our goal with this particular sign, was just to give it a try; you know how we love to wing it. We literally made it from scraps.
diy wood sign, crafts
My husband took three pieces of scrap wood and trimmed them down to 3″ widths. He then cut them 15″ long. After cutting, he took his sander and smoothed out the wood slats and slightly curved them as well. This gives the illusion of there being space left between the boards. We really have them glued and butted together.
diy wood sign, crafts
Attaching the pieces of wood together is the next step. I didn’t want the sign to stick out very far from the wall so we went with the thinnest strips we could find that would still hold the sign together.
diy wood sign, crafts
Next it’s time to stain.
diy wood sign, crafts
I wanted more than just stained wood, so I decided to use a dry brush technique with some chalk paint. Be sure your stained board are completely dry before you paint.
diy wood sign, crafts
To dry brush, you just need to dip your brush in the paint and then wipe off most of it on a paper towel.
diy wood sign, crafts
I then added a vinyl saying I cut out with my Silhouette. We drilled holes in the top corners and ran some jute through the holes to hang the sign.
diy wood sign, crafts
For full instructions check out Under a Texas Sky.
diy wood sign, crafts

• Scrap Wood
  • Wood Stain
  • Chalk Paint
Under a Texas Sky