Upcycle a Cable Spool Into a Bedside Table

Today I want to share a super easy upcycle project I made from an old electrical spool. I found it difficult to find the perfect height table to style next to my platform bed. This electrical cable spool once repurposed worked a treat.
First of all I spray painted it white and left it over night to dry.
I hotglued thick felt to the base and then I upcycled a rope handle from an old beach bag to add some interest.
I then upcycled an old photo frame into a tray and spray painted a little container to make everything fit together. Check out my video for my step by step in action.
Watch my DIY Video here

• White spray paint
  • Thick felt
  • Hot glue

15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers
Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas
31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden
3 Gorgeous Decor Projects In The Oh-So-Chic Geometric Style

• Fho3960399
    Fho3960399

The old spools I have have bolts in them. Did yours? And how do you remove them?

• Crafty
      Crafty

My husband and I made a coffee table and two end tables from cable spools. We left the bolts in and painted them black along with the middle and bottom of the spools. The top we stained and coated. They looked amazing. We did have to take them apart to make them the correct height.

• Edie Zsuzsics
    Edie Zsuzsics

Where can I find cable spools?

• Ann Bell
      Ann Bell

I live very near a tv cable company, and they are always throwing them out near their dumpster...free for the taking (I did ask, first, however!) and now I can get the cable rolls plus wooden pallets in great condition. Try finding a cable tv company near where you live.

• Mar8218158
    Mar8218158

How tall is this?

• Jean Myles
    Jean Myles

Great idea Thanks for sharing

• Carla
    Carla

My sister had this great ottoman, I wanted one... my husband found a wire wheel about 23 or so inches across and cut it down to height that I wanted and put it back together . Started by covering the outside with chicken wire and then two inch foam over that. The top was 4 inch foam, then made the cover and added a large 3 inch button to the center. Covered the bottom with oil cloth. Added fringe around and wala... a ottoman was born....