Upcycled Old Glass to Beautiful Garden Art

1 Material
$0
1 Day

Drill through the center of the glass pieces
Run the cable through the holes and glue the pieces as you go.
Make sure you leave enough cable to make a loop at the top to hang the piece from.
Let dry overnight
Put a Ferrell at the bottom of the piece and crimp then make your loop and use a double ferrel and crimp.
Hang and enjoy
Enjoying his nectar

• You need a drill press, glass drill bits, E6000 glue, cable and ferrel.

To see more: http://www.facebook.com/memawslovelyglass

• Janice S

What kind of glue did you use for your glass ? I read a few brands on line but comments said did not make a good
    seal. I don't want things to fall apart and break.
    Thanks, Janice, Houston, Texas
    • Misty Gaines-Johnson

I use E 6000 and it has held up great, but I also cable my pieces together. I live in Az and they have stood up to the heat and monsoon wind storms.

• Lori , Wisconsin

I've used 100% silicone ( in a caulk tube) & my pieces have lasted. I do bring them into basement for our Wisconsin winters though! I'm going to test leaving a few outside this winter.
    • PetPainter

JB Weld is super strong.

• Holly Kinchlea-Brown

Did you use a special drill bit to avoid breakage?
    • Misty Gaines-Johnson

Yes you must use drill bits for glass.
    • Melanie Popovich

I didn't drill mine. I used caulking that is water proof. Easier to use.

• Misty Gaines-Johnson

It won't hold. Mine have been thru monsoon storms and have never came apart or broke. It's been 2 years and they are holding up great. The heat and cold do not affect them either. Cabeling insures they stay together. I know from experience, caulking just doesn't last.
    • Eileen B.

I used marine caulking to glue glass pieces together. Some people use aquarium caulking but it costs $25.00 a tube then you need the caulking gun. Marine caulking works very well. Note Gorilla Glue does not work.
    • Stevie Johnson

A bit used for ceranic tile would work. Very important to run water in a trickle as you drill. Or just put the piece in a shallow pan w/ water. Harder due to the clouding drill dust makes. If using an electric drill, be very careful. A rechargeable cordless is best & you will love it for anything needing drilled. Bits & drills are cheap to expensive. Use bit only for glass & even a cheap one should last a long time. You can also try a regular bit w/ water in a pinch. Sometimes it works well, sometimes not.

• Donna Martin

don't understand what a Ferrell is? is this what is holding the cable on the bottom piece of glass?
    • Trina

Spelling is ferrule & it is a crimp fitting. W proper spelling u can google it & see many different kinds😜

• Christina

They are beautiful, and I would love to make them... so now I have to go find someone elses instructions.. . Cuz frankly this is basically a photo album. The only instructions are the obvious one we can figure out ourselves..

What kind of drill? Is there any prep or precautions when drilling glass? What kind of glue?

• Trina

Another post explains that when drilling glass, you must use water. Here's his post: Stevie Johnson on Jul 15, 2018

• Robin DeHart Steury

Under suggested materials it list E6000 as the glue.

• Melodie Ann Redding

I’m in love with your project!!

Is there a closer picture of the beautiful red one?

• BJ

I agree with Christina, where are the instructions?

• Linda Abate

What a unique way to attract birds to your garden area. These are so unique and I am sure noone else has one like these. They are AWESOME.

• Kat

I guess I must Google the word ferrel. 🤔

The only time I have heard of the word"feral, but pronounced the same" is regarding wild, normally,domesticated animals 🐈 such as a wild cat.