Steampunk Mosaic House Numbers

$15

We love steampunk and we love doing mosaics, so we made these mosaic house numbers with a little steampunk style. And the best thing about this mosaic? No grout! So they are fast and easy (and fun!) to make.
We made a complete video tutorial for this project. You can see it on our blog by clicking here. Be sure to sign up for our newsletter while you're there. We post new projects all the time!
We started by spray painting wooden house numbers black. Then we smeared black silicone all over the front of one number using a putty knife.
Next, we cut the shanks off the back of a few brass shank buttons. Then we stuck the shank buttons, keys, and charms into the silicone. We used mini tiles to make a border around the number.
The black silicone shows through the tiles and looks like grout! Here's a detail showing the keys, locks, and heart charms mixed with the tiles.
We repeated the same technique to make the other numbers, but we used different color tiles for each. Just for fun! You can see the whole list of materials we used, plus the step-by-step instructions, here.
We've used this same technique to mosaic a heart for the garden using broken brooches and rhinestone earrings. It turned out so pretty!
Remember, if you have any questions or ideas, leave us a comment and we'll reply! We really do love hearing from you!
Cheers,
Jennifer & Kitty, The O'Neil Sisters

15 Perfectly Round Tables
These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
Jennifer & Kitty O'Neil

• Cry Baby
    Cry Baby

Where ARE the buttons? I have a ton of them.

• Leona E Falgout
    Leona E Falgout

Where do you get the mini tiles. Do they come in different colors so you can mix and match. Love this. Will show to my daughter.

• Two23319552
    Two23319552

Is there a way to Pin this in Pinterest, to save for later?

• Frank
      Frank

Use the share button feature on your phone, then scroll through your choices until you see the Pinterest logo. Click on it scroll until you see the picture you want to save. Click on it. Click on NEXT. Choose your board or category to save in

• Leesa Osborne
    Leesa Osborne

I used to make crosses like this and sell them. I had so much fun.

• PattyCake
    PattyCake

I love what you done on this project and do intend on using it myself. I was wondering what kind of protection to spray or paint on to protect my master piece from the outside elements. Can you suggest a product that will not interact with the silicone and loosen up the tiles. Thank you