Jennifer & Kitty O'Neil
Jennifer & Kitty O'Neil
  • San Carlos, CA

Steampunk Mosaic House Numbers

$15

We love steampunk and we love doing mosaics, so we made these mosaic house numbers with a little steampunk style. And the best thing about this mosaic? No grout! So they are fast and easy (and fun!) to make.
steampunk mosaic house numbers
We made a complete video tutorial for this project. You can see it on our blog by clicking here. Be sure to sign up for our newsletter while you're there. We post new projects all the time!
steampunk mosaic house numbers
We started by spray painting wooden house numbers black. Then we smeared black silicone all over the front of one number using a putty knife.
steampunk mosaic house numbers
Next, we cut the shanks off the back of a few brass shank buttons. Then we stuck the shank buttons, keys, and charms into the silicone. We used mini tiles to make a border around the number.
steampunk mosaic house numbers
The black silicone shows through the tiles and looks like grout! Here's a detail showing the keys, locks, and heart charms mixed with the tiles.
steampunk mosaic house numbers
We repeated the same technique to make the other numbers, but we used different color tiles for each. Just for fun! You can see the whole list of materials we used, plus the step-by-step instructions, here.
steampunk mosaic house numbers
We've used this same technique to mosaic a heart for the garden using broken brooches and rhinestone earrings. It turned out so pretty!
Remember, if you have any questions or ideas, leave us a comment and we'll reply! We really do love hearing from you!
Cheers,
Jennifer & Kitty, The O'Neil Sisters
Jennifer & Kitty O'Neil

• Wit24614116

Love this one of a kind idea . How do you attach the numbers to the house ? Thanks, Carol Witt, Scottsdale, AZ

• Molly Jo

I applied mine to a wood plaque then hung plaque on the house. It is beautiful, am so glad I saw this blog and made one. Have also done jewelry from watching the O'Neil sisters blog posts. they explain things so well!

• Barbara

You mention using brooches and rhinestone earrings. Can you send a picture? TIA

• Susan Bridges Axelroth

I want to do this! How can I download this project to my phone so I'll have a list of materials needed when I go shop for them, & so I'll have the instructions readily available when I start the project?

• Susan S

These directions are for an iPhone. I am not familiar with Android or other operating systems. If you have Pinterest, click on one of the Pinterest pins in the left corner of a picture & save to your Pinterest pages. Or, go to your browser, hold your fingertip on the browser address bar until the full address shows and is highlighted, then click Copy and then go to your Notes page and open a new note. Put your finger on the page to get a cursor, then hold until you see Paste appear. Tap paste and click Done. You now have the address saved so you can revisit when you want to.