Steampunk Mosaic House Numbers

$15

We love steampunk and we love doing mosaics, so we made these mosaic house numbers with a little steampunk style. And the best thing about this mosaic? No grout! So they are fast and easy (and fun!) to make.
We made a complete video tutorial for this project. You can see it on our blog by clicking here. Be sure to sign up for our newsletter while you're there. We post new projects all the time!
We started by spray painting wooden house numbers black. Then we smeared black silicone all over the front of one number using a putty knife.
Next, we cut the shanks off the back of a few brass shank buttons. Then we stuck the shank buttons, keys, and charms into the silicone. We used mini tiles to make a border around the number.
The black silicone shows through the tiles and looks like grout! Here's a detail showing the keys, locks, and heart charms mixed with the tiles.
We repeated the same technique to make the other numbers, but we used different color tiles for each. Just for fun! You can see the whole list of materials we used, plus the step-by-step instructions, here.
We've used this same technique to mosaic a heart for the garden using broken brooches and rhinestone earrings. It turned out so pretty!
Remember, if you have any questions or ideas, leave us a comment and we'll reply! We really do love hearing from you!
Cheers,
Jennifer & Kitty, The O'Neil Sisters

15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful
These 21 Bloggers Came Up With The Most Amazing Organization Ideas
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
15 Genius Ways to Organize Your Bedroom
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
Jennifer & Kitty O'Neil

• Leesa Osborne

I used to make crosses like this and sell them. I had so much fun.

• PattyCake

I love what you done on this project and do intend on using it myself. I was wondering what kind of protection to spray or paint on to protect my master piece from the outside elements. Can you suggest a product that will not interact with the silicone and loosen up the tiles. Thank you