Macrame Privacy Wall

914K Views
Earlier this year I asked for suggestion for creating a separating wall between neighbors.
  • macrame privacy wall
My neighbor ran a cable from my garage to the house. I started by adding butcher's twine working strings. I was trying be consistent with spacing and the knots I used.
  • macrame privacy wall
I didn't realize how difficult it was going to be to keep my knots even. Normally, I work on a board on smaller projects, but working against the wind and the height was a real eye opener.
  • macrame privacy wall
I decided to go with panels so each would be different and add a little interest.
  • macrame privacy wall
I cannot tell you how many times I changed the patterns. Even then I was still not impressed with the outcome.
  • macrame privacy wall
It is very hard to keep the rows even. Again, the wind just takes the strings wherever it likes.
  • macrame privacy wall
I tried to use all of the knots in my repertoire to keep the "wall" interesting.
  • macrame privacy wall
When I thought I was "finished", I wrapped a 1/4" piece of conduit with the ending knots. After looking at the wall for a couple of months, I decided that next summer I would add 2 more panels and work on the ones I already knotted. The ultimate goal is to have Ivy, Honeysuckle, and cardinal climbers grow up the wall and create a little more privacy.

Suggested materials for this project:

• 3 Cones of Butcher's Twine  (Ace Hadware)
  • Cable  (had on hand)
  • 1/4" conduit  (had on hand)