Macrame Privacy Wall

Earlier this year I asked for suggestion for creating a separating wall between neighbors.
My neighbor ran a cable from my garage to the house. I started by adding butcher's twine working strings. I was trying be consistent with spacing and the knots I used.
I didn't realize how difficult it was going to be to keep my knots even. Normally, I work on a board on smaller projects, but working against the wind and the height was a real eye opener.
I decided to go with panels so each would be different and add a little interest.
I cannot tell you how many times I changed the patterns. Even then I was still not impressed with the outcome.
It is very hard to keep the rows even. Again, the wind just takes the strings wherever it likes.
I tried to use all of the knots in my repertoire to keep the "wall" interesting.
When I thought I was "finished", I wrapped a 1/4" piece of conduit with the ending knots. After looking at the wall for a couple of months, I decided that next summer I would add 2 more panels and work on the ones I already knotted. The ultimate goal is to have Ivy, Honeysuckle, and cardinal climbers grow up the wall and create a little more privacy.

• 3 Cones of Butcher's Twine  (Ace Hadware)
  • Cable  (had on hand)
  • 1/4" conduit  (had on hand)

• RJP

I admire your determination to complete such a huge project, Macrame is the best. I wonder, though, is the twine you are using is cotton, because once completed and with climbing plants adding weight, will the cotton twine be able to carry the load? Especially after a few years of exposure to the elements. Considering all of the work involved, perhaps something that will withstand the elements better, maybe a nylon cord or a thin hemp rope. I would like to think that you could enjoy your handiwork for as long as possible.

• Tina

I was just thinking paracord would be a better option as well.

• Mary Marishka

When you plant vines, look into hyacinth bean also! The leaves are sizable and the flowers are beautiful. They are reminiscent of sweet peas. I’ll add a pic of mine from this year. I love your idea!!!

• Cathy

Planting arborvitaes is a better solution if your looking for privacy. They make a beautiful natural “wall” once they grow. Less work.