Macrame Privacy Wall

Earlier this year I asked for suggestion for creating a separating wall between neighbors.
macrame privacy wall
My neighbor ran a cable from my garage to the house. I started by adding butcher's twine working strings. I was trying be consistent with spacing and the knots I used.
macrame privacy wall
I didn't realize how difficult it was going to be to keep my knots even. Normally, I work on a board on smaller projects, but working against the wind and the height was a real eye opener.
macrame privacy wall
I decided to go with panels so each would be different and add a little interest.
macrame privacy wall
I cannot tell you how many times I changed the patterns. Even then I was still not impressed with the outcome.
macrame privacy wall
It is very hard to keep the rows even. Again, the wind just takes the strings wherever it likes.
macrame privacy wall
I tried to use all of the knots in my repertoire to keep the "wall" interesting.
macrame privacy wall
When I thought I was "finished", I wrapped a 1/4" piece of conduit with the ending knots. After looking at the wall for a couple of months, I decided that next summer I would add 2 more panels and work on the ones I already knotted. The ultimate goal is to have Ivy, Honeysuckle, and cardinal climbers grow up the wall and create a little more privacy.

• 3 Cones of Butcher's Twine  (Ace Hadware)
  • Cable  (had on hand)
  • 1/4" conduit  (had on hand)

• RJP

I admire your determination to complete such a huge project, Macrame is the best. I wonder, though, is the twine you are using is cotton, because once completed and with climbing plants adding weight, will the cotton twine be able to carry the load? Especially after a few years of exposure to the elements. Considering all of the work involved, perhaps something that will withstand the elements better, maybe a nylon cord or a thin hemp rope. I would like to think that you could enjoy your handiwork for as long as possible.

• Tina
      31 minutes ago

I was just thinking paracord would be a better option as well.

• Mary Marishka
    Yesterday

When you plant vines, look into hyacinth bean also! The leaves are sizable and the flowers are beautiful. They are reminiscent of sweet peas. I’ll add a pic of mine from this year. I love your idea!!!

• Cathy
    6 hours ago

Planting arborvitaes is a better solution if your looking for privacy. They make a beautiful natural “wall” once they grow. Less work.

• Terri Gould Phillips
    4 hours ago

We wanted some shade, and morning glories are definitely great for privacy as well! My husband planted a few cuttings of cane. That stuff really grows fast!! He used the cane to build a climbing wall on each side of our porch. Worked beautifully! Morning glories do have a will of their own and will get thicker every year! We had to thin them out this year because last year they took over the porch!!

• Gwendilyn
    3 hours ago

I love this, it inspired me to do something similar. :)