Macrame Privacy Wall

Earlier this year I asked for suggestion for creating a separating wall between neighbors.
My neighbor ran a cable from my garage to the house. I started by adding butcher's twine working strings. I was trying be consistent with spacing and the knots I used.
I didn't realize how difficult it was going to be to keep my knots even. Normally, I work on a board on smaller projects, but working against the wind and the height was a real eye opener.
I decided to go with panels so each would be different and add a little interest.
I cannot tell you how many times I changed the patterns. Even then I was still not impressed with the outcome.
It is very hard to keep the rows even. Again, the wind just takes the strings wherever it likes.
I tried to use all of the knots in my repertoire to keep the "wall" interesting.
When I thought I was "finished", I wrapped a 1/4" piece of conduit with the ending knots. After looking at the wall for a couple of months, I decided that next summer I would add 2 more panels and work on the ones I already knotted. The ultimate goal is to have Ivy, Honeysuckle, and cardinal climbers grow up the wall and create a little more privacy.

• 3 Cones of Butcher's Twine  (Ace Hadware)
  • Cable  (had on hand)
  • 1/4" conduit  (had on hand)

• Patricia Scanga Godfrey

I would love to see how his holds up before I start one. LOVE the look, especially the idea of honeysuckle. Did you apply some type of sealer to the twine?

• Ella Hoven

Does butches twine rot over time a short time, that sounds like a good idea,

• Beth Moore

Maybe the next time you could work on your panels indoors, working over small pvc pipe. Then you could thread the cable you are hanging it on through the pvc? I don't know if that would work, but it might be easier than dealing with the wind! Anyway, great project!

• Pilar

Cardinal climbers, such beauties!! That is one of my favorites vines! 😍

Nice of your neighbor to help you with this project (by running the cable for you), but, of course, you did the hard work. Well done!

• Joanie

I used A lot of binder twine for macrame' when it first come in......years ago. Last forever!! You did a great job.....it had to be hard with the wind......Good Luck with your Honey suckle vines.