Macrame Privacy Wall

Earlier this year I asked for suggestion for creating a separating wall between neighbors.
My neighbor ran a cable from my garage to the house. I started by adding butcher's twine working strings. I was trying be consistent with spacing and the knots I used.
I didn't realize how difficult it was going to be to keep my knots even. Normally, I work on a board on smaller projects, but working against the wind and the height was a real eye opener.
I decided to go with panels so each would be different and add a little interest.
I cannot tell you how many times I changed the patterns. Even then I was still not impressed with the outcome.
It is very hard to keep the rows even. Again, the wind just takes the strings wherever it likes.
I tried to use all of the knots in my repertoire to keep the "wall" interesting.
When I thought I was "finished", I wrapped a 1/4" piece of conduit with the ending knots. After looking at the wall for a couple of months, I decided that next summer I would add 2 more panels and work on the ones I already knotted. The ultimate goal is to have Ivy, Honeysuckle, and cardinal climbers grow up the wall and create a little more privacy.

• 3 Cones of Butcher's Twine  (Ace Hadware)
  • Cable  (had on hand)
  • 1/4" conduit  (had on hand)

31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Fun Father's Day Gift Ideas You Can Make Yourself
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
These Stunning Seating Ideas Will Blow You Away

• Mary Marishka
    Mary Marishka

When you plant vines, look into hyacinth bean also! The leaves are sizable and the flowers are beautiful. They are reminiscent of sweet peas. I’ll add a pic of mine from this year. I love your idea!!!

• Cathy
    Cathy

Planting arborvitaes is a better solution if your looking for privacy. They make a beautiful natural “wall” once they grow. Less work.

• Vickiesizemore
    Vickiesizemore

how long did you cute the twine to make these beautiful divider, I been wanting to make one for one side of my carport

• Jackie B
    Jackie B

Great idea & I like the suggestion of the Hyacinth Bean plant. Im will try this. LYK

• Carrie Jean
    Carrie Jean

Scarlet Runner beans work fabulously to create a "wall" with their big bright red blooms plus they attract hummingbirds. I had a chain link fence that they climbed up but the twine is something that they will also climb if your fence isn't capable of holding the plants. These seem to offer cooler temperatures in the afternoon/evening time plus your next years seeds can be harvested from this years crop.