Diane Woods
Diane Woods
  • Franklin, TN

Trash to Ottoman From Papasan Chair

I made this years ago, but get a lot of questions where I found it, then compliments on the idea, so I thought I'd share. I wanted a large ottoman for this room that would fit between the couches to match, so I bought extra fabric anticipating that kind of project when we ordered the couches. I found the base of a double papasan chair in the trash and it had the perfect bones for what I wanted. The project was a bit time consuming, expecially the pleating! I ironed for hours and used interfacing to make it match the corners of my couch. My husband raises an eyebrow every time I come up with a crazy idea, but he is always supportive, does what I request without question, and just goes with it. (Thank you Mike!) We were both happy with the result. The ottoman has held up over 10 years, so far, and gets used all the time!
The project was a bit time consuming, expecially the pleating! I ironed for hours and used interfacing to make it match the corners of my couch.
Made from 2 pcs of plywood cut to shape & size of top of frame. We drilled holes through both pcs of wood at the same time so they attach together later easily.  We also drilled holes in the top one to allow for button tufting.
Made from 2 pcs of plywood cut to shape & size of top of frame. We drilled holes through both pcs of wood at the same time so they attach together later easily. We also drilled holes in the top one to allow for button tufting.
I put bolts in top temporarily, then topped with cushion cut to the same shape.  I then stapled fabric to the back pulled pretty tight side to side, corner to corner, then more around to finish.  Then covering the buttons with fabric.
I put bolts in top temporarily, then topped with cushion cut to the same shape. I then stapled fabric to the back pulled pretty tight side to side, corner to corner, then more around to finish. Then covering the buttons with fabric.
I went up thru "tufting" holes with 2 long upholstery needles at the same time - 1 hole up toward top, 1 down with kite string on it. The one with string pushed all the way up thru, attach button then rethread on other needle down.
We attached the bottom wood to the base with blocks of wood and pipe supports. Stapled on prepared skirt to bottom  wood piece, then attached together with the bolts. Ta Da.  Awesome ottoman!
We attached the bottom wood to the base with blocks of wood and pipe supports. Stapled on prepared skirt to bottom wood piece, then attached together with the bolts. Ta Da. Awesome ottoman!
trash to ottoman from papasan chair, painted furniture