Dollar Store Laundry Basket Turned Chic Metallic Rope Basket

$25

dollar store laundry basket turned chic metallic rope basket, crafts
I started by attaching felt to the outside of the laundry basket with hot glue. The felt made it easy to adhere the rope to it and also acted as a liner for the inside of the basket.
Next I wrapped jute rope around the entire basket, attaching with hot glue.
I wanted an ombre effect with my metallic paint so I started with a light coating of copper metallic paint gradually building up the amount of paint I used to create the ombre effect.
I cut off the lip on the top of the laundry basket so that the rope didn't stick out awkwardly at the top.
I used the excess felt that had been overhang from the sides of the laundry basket to tuck inside of the basket to act as a liner for the basket. The felt is just tucked into the bottom, I didn't sew or glue it. It won't be seen anyway with blankets or anything else in it.
It's amazing how easy it was to create an elegant, decorative throw basket with just a dollar store laundry basket, some jute rope, felt and a glue gun! See more step by step photos and material quantities sources on my blog here: http://lydioutloud.com/2016/09/15/diy-metallic-rope-throw-basket/
Lydia Nordhoff - Lydi Out Loud

• Jacquenette

I I really like this idea. I might use it for toy baskets in the kids room, gotta find a softer rope to use tho🧐...any ideas?

• Christina O

I love this idea! Using such thick rope, did you cut the rope or was it continuous? Bc I would think it would leave holes going up all the way to top??

• Melanie

I call myself a lazy crafter. I’m always looking for shortcuts. Is the felt on the outside essential, or could I omit that step? Thanks in advance.

• Linda Freimuth

If you don't like the idea of using rope, use braided material. Make long strips, twist and braid. Or just twist fabric tight and use it in place of the rope

• Brenda

I am so loving this idea! I've been in my new apartment since October, and it's taking a little time to furnish and decorate. I'm an artist and "crafter", so I'm wanting to decorate it with things I make myself instead of buying already made decor. This is definitely an idea I can use! Thanks!