Dollar Store Laundry Basket Turned Chic Metallic Rope Basket

$25

dollar store laundry basket turned chic metallic rope basket, crafts
I started by attaching felt to the outside of the laundry basket with hot glue. The felt made it easy to adhere the rope to it and also acted as a liner for the inside of the basket.
Next I wrapped jute rope around the entire basket, attaching with hot glue.
I wanted an ombre effect with my metallic paint so I started with a light coating of copper metallic paint gradually building up the amount of paint I used to create the ombre effect.
I cut off the lip on the top of the laundry basket so that the rope didn't stick out awkwardly at the top.
I used the excess felt that had been overhang from the sides of the laundry basket to tuck inside of the basket to act as a liner for the basket. The felt is just tucked into the bottom, I didn't sew or glue it. It won't be seen anyway with blankets or anything else in it.
It's amazing how easy it was to create an elegant, decorative throw basket with just a dollar store laundry basket, some jute rope, felt and a glue gun! See more step by step photos and material quantities sources on my blog here: http://lydioutloud.com/2016/09/15/diy-metallic-rope-throw-basket/
Lydia Nordhoff - Lydi Out Loud

• Patsy Evans

1) How much rope does it take ?

2) How do you wash it ?

after the hot glue you can't just take it apart to wash it.

• Kathleen Kremis

Vacuum it weekly with your regular cleaning tasks...and I agree why wash it? Do you wash all your other fabric/canvas storage bins?

• Jacquenette

I I really like this idea. I might use it for toy baskets in the kids room, gotta find a softer rope to use tho🧐...any ideas?

• Donna

You can use different things, like the cute really thick fuzzy type yarns

• Christina O

I love this idea! Using such thick rope, did you cut the rope or was it continuous? Bc I would think it would leave holes going up all the way to top??

• Julie A Fancher
    5 hours ago

I think I'm going to try this

• Linda Freimuth
    31 minutes ago

If you don't like the idea of using rope, use braided material. Make long strips, twist and braid. Or just twist fabric tight and use it in place of the rope