Dollar Store Laundry Basket Turned Chic Metallic Rope Basket

$25

I started by attaching felt to the outside of the laundry basket with hot glue. The felt made it easy to adhere the rope to it and also acted as a liner for the inside of the basket.
Next I wrapped jute rope around the entire basket, attaching with hot glue.
I wanted an ombre effect with my metallic paint so I started with a light coating of copper metallic paint gradually building up the amount of paint I used to create the ombre effect.
I cut off the lip on the top of the laundry basket so that the rope didn't stick out awkwardly at the top.
I used the excess felt that had been overhang from the sides of the laundry basket to tuck inside of the basket to act as a liner for the basket. The felt is just tucked into the bottom, I didn't sew or glue it. It won't be seen anyway with blankets or anything else in it.
It's amazing how easy it was to create an elegant, decorative throw basket with just a dollar store laundry basket, some jute rope, felt and a glue gun! See more step by step photos and material quantities sources on my blog here: http://lydioutloud.com/2016/09/15/diy-metallic-rope-throw-basket/

Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
    3 Creative Eye Catching Rug Projects That No One Else Has!
    15 Memorial Day Crafts
    31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
    These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own
    The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
    Lydia Nordhoff - Lydi Out Loud

• Beth Sanfilippo
      Beth Sanfilippo

Approx. How many feet of rope did it take to cover the bin? AND what size bin?

• Mommy Nicole
      Mommy Nicole

approx. how much felt???

• Fay Story Sessions
      Fay Story Sessions

Love this! If the rope is glued to felt, on outside of basket...how can the felt become the liner?

• Tawny Wohlers
        Tawny Wohlers

When I made one similar to this,I glued the liner to the outside of the basket (before finishwork with rope) with finished fabric side out, then after rope pushed it inside the basket and it was the perfect liner because you can shake it out and even hand wash the liner.

• Mel
      Mel

Omg I love this..making it to put my throw pillows in.

• Joanie
      Joanie

THIS is my favorite rope basket!! It is classy!