Asked on Dec 10, 2016

How do I paint a metal bed frame??

Melissa VRussell PalmerCindy Hagemann
+8

I have a metal bed frame that's white and I want to paint it black. What is the easiest way for me to paint it black? Do I use a spray paint?

Thanks in advance!

Spray paint that is made for metal. Several light coats for best adhesion and coverage.
  • Sherrie Kendall

I agree. I used it for my white wrought iron bed which is not black. Takes several coats and spray lightly with several coats to prevent running off the slick metal surface.

• Russell Palmer

Take some scratch pad for dishes, and scrub the metal fairly well. Then get some black Rust-oleum in a spray can and spray it on. It dries fairly quickly, so you can re-coat it in a short time.
  • Destpete4

I would prime first and then paint it with 3 or 4 light coats.

Rust oleum is great paint.
  • Samantha

I agree with Destpete4. I've got a wrought iron and copper bed which I've painted a couple of times, depending on the decor. I had to sand it down and give a coat of rust converter first, primer and the my final outer coat. Rustoleum is a good product and has such lovely colors available now. I would even try Chalk paint which is also a good product especially if you are trying for an antique look. With the Chalk paint I'd suggest a good sealer as the final layer. This isn't a quick solution but the end product is so worth it. Have fun and post the finished product. Would love to see it
  • Cindy Hagemann

I've painted several metal beds - here is what I do: lightly sand first with steel wool or fine grade sand paper (sand out any rust areas); use a spray paint primer (I like Rust-Oleum); let dry 24 hours then use your spray paint for metal (again I use Rust-Oleum) and do a light coat; let dry thoroughly; lightly sand with steel wool; add another light coat; do the same; until it is exactly what you want. Post photos for us to see!
  • Russell Palmer

Check on their cans and it tells you you do not need a primer coat, as it has the etching primer in the paint.

//Rust-Oleum® Universal® is a paint and primer in one that provides superior coverage and durability over any surface – it also features a patented comfort trigger that eliminates finger fatigue and sprays from any angle.

IDEAL USE
    METALWICKERCONCRETE
    WOODVINYLLAMINATE
    PLASTICGLASS//

• Melissa V

Yes, yes and yes....you are getting all kinds of good advice! And you live in a place where you can work on this in the winter, too. I have to echo what Russell said and make sure you get the comfort trigger-it makes a BIG difference!