Food Storage Container Organization Solved

3.28M Views
So I am sure we have all had some frustrations with food storage containers at one point or another. My food storage container cabinet was a stinkin' hot mess, so I decided to get a little organized. I decided to combine a couple of different methods I have seen used before. Most of these food storage container organization options can be found at a dollar store and are a great way to get it together! With a file organizer, a dish dry rack, and a bin you too can get your food storage containers in order!

We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

SUPPLIES:
Time: 20 MinutesCost: $15Difficulty: Easy
  • tupperware organization, organizing
Guys... this seriously wasn't staged... How sad is this madness? In my defense the lids were more organized a couple days ago, but things got moved around when I needed a bin in the back, and, well, there you have it... madness! Clearly this project was done out of necessity.
  • tupperware organization, organizing
  • tupperware organization, organizing
STEP 1: Match Up All of Your food storage containers Make sure all the food storage containers you have has its matching lid... if you are anything like me you will have some random extras that can be tossed out. Some lids I found I had literally never seen. It's a little ridiculous.
  • tupperware organization, organizing
STEP 2: Put Your Lids in the Drying Rack Once you make sure all of your food storage containers are worth keeping, it is time to start organizing! First, grab your dish drying rack. Take all of your small lids and tuck them into the cutlery drying pocket.
  • tupperware organization, organizing
Now take all of your other lids and place them in the plate slots. I organized them by shape and size so that I know where to look from now on!
  • tupperware organization, organizing
STEP 3: Stack Your Food Storage Containers in Bins Now grab your bin(s) and stack your food storage containers in the most organized manner you can, and place them in the bin so they fit nicely but also in a neat manner.
  • tupperware organization, organizing
STEP 4: Place the Rack and Bin into Your Cabinet Now tuck your bin and dish drying rack back into the cabinet in whichever order you find fitting. I live in an apartment in Brooklyn, so I don't have a ton of cabinet space to spread these out as nicely as I would like, but this is already SOOOO much better than what I had going on.
  • tupperware organization, organizing
STEP 5: Drill Your Folder Organizer Onto Your Cabinet Door Now grab your folder organizer and a drill (and a couple screws) and secure it to the door, making sure there is clearance for the door to close without the bin hitting the items inside the cabinet. Once it is secured in place, fill it with any extra or strange shaped lids that didn't fit in the dish drying rack.
  • tupperware organization, organizing
Look at all that beauty! I am seriously so pumped at this simple and cheap fix!
  • tupperware organization, organizing
Of course you could just use several bins to store both lids and containers, but I kind of like that each lid has it's own little space.
  • tupperware organization, organizing
As you can see there is plenty of clearance for the door to close with the desk organizer attached.
  • Tesoro1963
    Tesoro1963

Wow! It looks so very nice! Good job! I love the fact that there is no need to spend a fortune in bins. I will do this, thanks for sharing. Merry Christmas!

• Sandra Hankins Cormier
        Sandra Hankins Cormier Crook, CO

I unfortunately am in the hospital 3 to 4 times a year. I always bring the plastic bin they give me at the hospital so I have an abundance. Anybody that's been in should make sure you bring them home there are a million uses for them and you pay for them anyway.

I gave a couple to a lady that feeds a colony of feral cats. She uses one for food and one for water.

We also use one by the pool that we step in before we get in pool to wash any trash off our feet.

Like I said, a million uses.

• Sarah_s_christian
        Sarah_s_christian

I have an identical storage cabinet for my mess. Thanks for the excellent ideas. I shall be purging and reorganizing it this week. I even have all the stuff to do it!