Food Storage Container Organization Solved

$15

So I am sure we have all had some frustrations with food storage containers at one point or another. My food storage container cabinet was a stinkin' hot mess, so I decided to get a little organized. I decided to combine a couple of different methods I have seen used before. Most of these food storage container organization options can be found at a dollar store and are a great way to get it together! With a file organizer, a dish dry rack, and a bin you too can get your food storage containers in order!

We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

SUPPLIES:
Guys... this seriously wasn't staged... How sad is this madness? In my defense the lids were more organized a couple days ago, but things got moved around when I needed a bin in the back, and, well, there you have it... madness! Clearly this project was done out of necessity.
STEP 1: Match Up All of Your food storage containers Make sure all the food storage containers you have has its matching lid... if you are anything like me you will have some random extras that can be tossed out. Some lids I found I had literally never seen. It's a little ridiculous.
STEP 2: Put Your Lids in the Drying Rack Once you make sure all of your food storage containers are worth keeping, it is time to start organizing! First, grab your dish drying rack. Take all of your small lids and tuck them into the cutlery drying pocket.
Now take all of your other lids and place them in the plate slots. I organized them by shape and size so that I know where to look from now on!
STEP 3: Stack Your Food Storage Containers in Bins Now grab your bin(s) and stack your food storage containers in the most organized manner you can, and place them in the bin so they fit nicely but also in a neat manner.
STEP 4: Place the Rack and Bin into Your Cabinet Now tuck your bin and dish drying rack back into the cabinet in whichever order you find fitting. I live in an apartment in Brooklyn, so I don't have a ton of cabinet space to spread these out as nicely as I would like, but this is already SOOOO much better than what I had going on.
STEP 5: Drill Your Folder Organizer Onto Your Cabinet Door Now grab your folder organizer and a drill (and a couple screws) and secure it to the door, making sure there is clearance for the door to close without the bin hitting the items inside the cabinet. Once it is secured in place, fill it with any extra or strange shaped lids that didn't fit in the dish drying rack.
Look at all that beauty! I am seriously so pumped at this simple and cheap fix!
Of course you could just use several bins to store both lids and containers, but I kind of like that each lid has it's own little space.
As you can see there is plenty of clearance for the door to close with the desk organizer attached.

12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine

• Redcatcec
    Redcatcec

Do you really need all those containers? If you have that many stored, I wonder how many do you have in use? You might want to go through them again and recycle some. You did a great job organizing them, and hope it works well for you. Best to you.

• Monica
      Monica

I make a weeks worth of breakfast & lunch to go for my husband. It makes packing his lunchbox in the morning sooo much easier. I also make up a lot of freezer meals & soups. A few years ago I FINALLY found what works for me for storing plastic containers. I have the bottoms stacked in a 5 gal. food storage canister and the lids in a smaller one. I keep them on top of my freezer in the kitchen. out of the way, organized and easily accessible.

• SandyW
    SandyW

I bought a bunch of stacking containers and lids of different sizes. Store them all in one basket.

• Patty Peterson
    Patty Peterson

THOSE plastic products pictured are NOT "Tupperware". Tupperware is brand name for a higher quality food safe product. ALL of their products save space, and you'd never see that kind of an "overload", because with Tupperware brand products, most will nest inside each other and many serve multiple purposes, which save space. You can find me on FB, I'd be happy to show you.

• Yvette Scheiman
    Yvette Scheiman

Nice ideas! I have another one: my 25 yr old who still lives at home has a spot in her closet for her PERSONAL tupperware. She owns all of the ones with the red lids. Her father and I use the blue lids. So we have as much tupperware as we need with the same counter space. She likes to bake, which is why she has her own stuff ..

• Sissy
    Sissy

I reuse all my plastic butter containers .Ziplocks are great also easy to rinse out with a little dish detergent and rinse and let dry