Error loading player:
No playable sources found

Fairy Light Headboard Alternative

$58

Nowadays there are so many different ways to brighten up a room, both literally and figuratively. In my opinion, you can never go wrong with lights in general and for this project, I feel like it made the whole feel of the room so much cozier and welcoming. My good friend Jen let me take over her younger daughter's nursery/room (she's 18 months) to do this easy headboard alternative project and I'm so happy
fairy light headboard alternative
BEFORE: Little Leah didn't have much going on in her room aside from a few personalized items from when she was born along with her crib and glider.
fairy light headboard alternative
SUPPLIES: -curtain rod -strands of lights (I bought mine off of Amazon) - twin size flat white sheet -C batteries NOT PICTURED: -level -drill with screw bit -pencil

fairy light headboard alternative
STEP 1: Mark wall First, I used a level and my curtain rod to make my marks where the curtain rod would hang. You don't HAVE to use a level--if you're good at eyeballing things, have at it--but I can't even tell you how many times I've thought something was straight just by looking at it, then I stood back and shook my head at myself because it was crooked as a shepherd's hook (haha--ok maybe not THAT bad but you get my drift).
fairy light headboard alternative
STEP 2: Install hardware and attache rod The curtain rod I purchased from Walmart (hellloooo it was only 94¢!!! my kind of shopping!) came with the installation hardware so I screwed the little plate that came in the package to the wall, made sure it was vertically straight, then screwed in the second screw.
fairy light headboard alternative
Next, I attached the curtain rod to the hanging plate (I don't know if that's what it's called but that's the name I'm giving it for now).
fairy light headboard alternative
STEP 3: Add batteries and hang lights to lights and hang lightsIt was finally time to add the star of the show for this project! I inserted the batteries in the battery boxes of the lights...
fairy light headboard alternative
...then I draped the lights over the curtain rod. I will say that I was getting a little frustrated with this part of the project. I wanted lots of lights, however, I was limited to how many times I could drape the lights over the curtain rod because I wanted them to be in long strands. I had the battery boxes sit on the floor, therefore a good bit of the lights couldn't be seen because they were behind the crib. If I had done this project in my house, I would have installed some sort of floating shelf (or SOMETHING) behind the crib to hold the battery boxes in order to give me more slack.
fairy light headboard alternative
STEP 4: Drape sheet over rod For the final step of this super easy project, I draped the flat sheet over the lights and curtain rod--I had a good food or so on the backside and could have draped it even further if I really wanted to.
fairy light headboard alternative
I love how this headboard alternative came out! As soon as I was finished with the project, little Leah went down for a nap and she seemed to love the new addition to her room.
We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of August 04, 2018 10:09 PM - More info

3 questions on this project
  • Chris Chapman
    Jan 13, 2018

I think the basic idea is wonderful! Everyone seems to be worried about safety. I think each of us can adapt your idea to suit ourselves. Also, did you think about Velcro to hide the battery boxes to the wall behind the rod? Just a thought. Its very pretty!

• Itsmemic
    Jan 05, 2018

Holy moly such controversy ! My question is, why did you use a simple white sheet? I would have used a pretty sheer fabric with colors to match room... as for the safety issue? I am sure we grownups can agree that has all been thought out beforehand.

• Carol
      Jan 17, 2018

Did anyone think to put it on another wall away from the crib? I too would have used a pretty lace fabric. You could use so many different colors depending on the sex of the child. Lavender or pink for a girl and blue or green for a boy! Plus you can make it shorter so they can't get into the material covering the lights.

• I was wondering if maybe led light strips would work better? The versatility of placement and options would be multiple and you could change colors also. Not to mention cool burning. Thanks for sharing, I have been looking for something for my bedroom.

• Tinaterrell40
    Jan 13, 2018

When you do things like this you have criticism coming out the woods. I think you did perfect, and what you do and your home is your business. If your baby is safe thats all that matters. Have a bless one, and thanks for sharing🤗

• Vicky Corey
    Jan 21, 2018

People no longer have common sense! Beautifully done Courtney! I, too, had something similar when mine were small. They are all grown raising their own! Lol