Fairy Light Headboard Alternative

1.21M Views
Nowadays there are so many different ways to brighten up a room, both literally and figuratively. In my opinion, you can never go wrong with lights in general and for this project, I feel like it made the whole feel of the room so much cozier and welcoming. My good friend Jen let me take over her younger daughter's nursery/room (she's 18 months) to do this easy headboard alternative project and I'm so happy with how it turned out!
Time: 1 HoursCost: $58Difficulty: Easy
  • fairy light headboard alternative
BEFORE: Little Leah didn't have much going on in her room aside from a few personalized items from when she was born along with her crib and glider.
  • fairy light headboard alternative
SUPPLIES: -curtain rod -strands of lights (I bought mine off of Amazon) - twin size flat white sheet -C batteries NOT PICTURED: -level -drill with screw bit -pencil

• fairy light headboard alternative
STEP 1: Mark wall First, I used a level and my curtain rod to make my marks where the curtain rod would hang. You don't HAVE to use a level--if you're good at eyeballing things, have at it--but I can't even tell you how many times I've thought something was straight just by looking at it, then I stood back and shook my head at myself because it was crooked as a shepherd's hook (haha--ok maybe not THAT bad but you get my drift).
  • fairy light headboard alternative
STEP 2: Install hardware and attache rod The curtain rod I purchased from Walmart (hellloooo it was only 94¢!!! my kind of shopping!) came with the installation hardware so I screwed the little plate that came in the package to the wall, made sure it was vertically straight, then screwed in the second screw.
  • fairy light headboard alternative
Next, I attached the curtain rod to the hanging plate (I don't know if that's what it's called but that's the name I'm giving it for now).
  • fairy light headboard alternative
STEP 3: Add batteries and hang lights to lights and hang lightsIt was finally time to add the star of the show for this project! I inserted the batteries in the battery boxes of the lights...
  • fairy light headboard alternative
...then I draped the lights over the curtain rod. I will say that I was getting a little frustrated with this part of the project. I wanted lots of lights, however, I was limited to how many times I could drape the lights over the curtain rod because I wanted them to be in long strands. I had the battery boxes sit on the floor, therefore a good bit of the lights couldn't be seen because they were behind the crib. If I had done this project in my house, I would have installed some sort of floating shelf (or SOMETHING) behind the crib to hold the battery boxes in order to give me more slack.
  • fairy light headboard alternative
STEP 4: Drape sheet over rod For the final step of this super easy project, I draped the flat sheet over the lights and curtain rod--I had a good food or so on the backside and could have draped it even further if I really wanted to.
  • fairy light headboard alternative
I love how this headboard alternative came out! As soon as I was finished with the project, little Leah went down for a nap and she seemed to love the new addition to her room.
We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

Suggested materials for this project:

View All Materials
Prices updated as of May 16, 2018 10:57 PM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
  • Hillela G.
    Hillela G.

Magical!!

• Bernice H
        Bernice H Woodburn, OR

I agree with you Hillela...I think she is a responsible parent and has thought about .....as the baby grows. I love this...and magical is a better word to describe it. 😻

• Pnachowicz
        Pnachowicz

Very pretty, but please be aware of any hazards you may have introduced so close to the crib. I would be concerned about choking hazards or baby getting tangled in hanging things just like the cords that hang from blinds.

• Debra Schultheis
            Debra Schultheis Hanna City, IL

Thank God there is. I for one was thinking all the above. Sometimes pretty isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. Practical is what every parent wants. And, believe it or not, there are parents out there that aren’t as clued in as you.