Faux Patchwork Terra Cotta Pot

$5

I needed something to hold my Keurig cups and I found the perfect solution. This project is versatile in that this cute little pot can be used for an array of things--plus, you can really add your personality to it by what scarf/fabric you choose.
SUPPLIES: - scarf -8" plastic (resin) terra cotta pot -fabric scissors - Mod Podge -foam brush NOT PICTURED: -iron
STEP 1: Iron scarf It's not a must but this step will likely make your life easier and will make your finished product look better. I first ironed my scarf on the silk setting since it was so thin (it was 100% polyester).
STEP 2: Mod Podge scarf Next, I started at one end and wrapped my scarf around my pot, applying heavy coats of Mod Podge as I went around.
This part can be annoying and tricky because the light weight scarf kept wanting to come off with the foam brush every time I'd try going back over it with the brush. I found that the trick was glopping on the Mod Podge and sometimes even dabbing in areas (especially under the lip and groove) to make the scarf stay down instead of coming up or sliding. You want to try and keep the scarf as straight as you can and do more dabbing than "brushing" because the scars WILL pull up.
STEP 3: Cut pleats I'm not sure if pleating would be the correct way to put it but because the pot was curved, my scarf naturally wanted to curve as well; however, I wanted my stripes to be as straight as possible. I experimented (and decided it was the best bet to keeping the lines straight) by making a cut where I noticed the scarf wanted to start looking like it was going downward (hope that makes sense!). This way, I could essentially overlap the cut parts so the lines appeared as if they were continuing in a straight line.
STEP 4: Mod Podge the inside and bottom Once the outside of my pot was covered and I was satisfied with how it looked, I repeated steps 2 and 3 on the inside. I didn't go all the way to the bottom on the inside with the scarf because I was going to be filling it and no one would be looking inside it anyway so I saved myself the extra time and effort. When I completed the inside, I carefully flipped my pot on its top and did the same steps for the outside bottom.
STEP 5: Let dry overnight When I flipped my pot on its top to finish the outside bottom, I placed it on an upside down vase to ensure that the Mod Podge wouldn't dry and that it wouldn't stick to my work surface. I only applied one heavy coat of Mod Podge to the entire pot and let it dry overnight. You can add more coats once each coat dries but I felt that one was sufficient for my thin scarf.
This cute little Keurig cup holder/pot definitely isn't perfect but I love how it almost appears to be somewhat of a patchwork pattern, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the colors. Due to material of the scarf, there were threads that pulled out where I cut the pleats as I was applying the Mod Podge, and I tried to cut them but I knew my efforts were going to be pointless, so I let them be and accepted this project as an artsy, funky piece.
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

• Scarf  (Dollar Tree)
  • 8" plastic (resin) terra cotta pot  (Home Depot)
  • Fabric scissors  (on hand (from JoAnns Fabric))

• Connie Anderson

I love the project, so easy. But I wonder, why are there Altoids on top of your coffee?..... Lol

• Marjorie J. Benke

Just seems to me like a lot of work to go through. Why not just decorate the terra cotta pot with some hand painted flowers, or simply paint on the words, "Keurig Cups" onto the pot?

• Shawna Bailey

It's actually much easier than it looks, certainly easier than painting something on it.

• Linda Wood Yount

I thought it looked like a lot of bother too, but each to their own...I would just put them in a plastic container.

• Donna Barrett

As far as just painting the pot goes, it was easier to just glue the scarf (which the author obviously fell n love with) to the pot rather than try to duplicate it. I get it.

• Theresa Wiberg

Cute!

• QueenRee

Very clever.

• J

Wouldn't a patterned scarf be easier to use than a striped one? Like maybe floral?

• I'm sure that'd work too!

• Pat Fisher

I was just thinking that!! lol I believe I will try it for summer. And with all the grey, snowy days it will give one hope that summer will come! lol

• Kathy Baker

How cute would it be to use a scarf with large flowers, or paint flowers, & then use the tops of your favorite k-cups to use for the center of the flowers???

• Quizzetta Scott

I love the flower scarf idea! That makes it little kid craft friendly. I think I'm going to modify this to a small pot and let the kids fill them with candies. I think it will make a great teacher gift 😍😍😍!

• Becky Burkes Self

I was watching the video with the glass plate, candlestick and terra cotta pot. Never got to see the end result. Can you post the end video please

• Shawna Bailey

Which video?

• That was actually Hannah from the home office doing the project and it was live so I don't believe there's an end video. You can check out the video in my tutorial to see what the end should look like. 😊

• Karen Goff Lott

Could you put a layer of the mp, place thin fabric on top and then a second coat of mp?

• Bilinda Law-Morley

off topic sorry- ive two questions if that's okay.
    First- Command Hooks. They just don't wirk for me. I follow all directions n put them up. Out of ten, say 3 stick,4drop off wall as soon as I hang anything on them- usually really light thing, def no overload
    and the final three just dont adhere at all
    2nd question is can I nail or screw anything to inside of cupboard doors which are covered in laminwx? (This btw is why I need to make Command hooks do what they say they will
    Thanks in adVance- and thanks for letting me butt in
    • I've never really had trouble with Command Hooks--maybe it's the surface you're sticking them to that doesn't grab the adhesive well..? And I'm not familiar with laminwx but as long as the nail/screw is short enough that it doesn't blow through the other side, I'm sure it'll be fine.
    • Mary McDonald

Another thing is every type of hook only holds a certain amount of weight, from maybe less than half a pound and the heaviest I used was a storage basket for sticking to the inside of a cupboard door and it said it would hold up to 7.5 pounds! But there were four long and wide Command strips on the back. Hasn't fallen yet!
    • Ghd12239107

I would definitely follow their direction and thoroughly clean the area that you're sticking to with alcohol. Once you finish sticking the base, I'd wait a couple hours before using.
    • Carla Freeman

Use 3m hooks but they stay. Clean area with alcohol then apply hooks by directions. Mine I hang everythin

• Marge

Re: Command hooks. They work well if you follow the directions, however I have had difficulty applying them on glass and the glossy wall surfaces in our trailer. I think it has to do with surface tension. You can always call the 3M help line and discuss with their Technical Service folks.

• Anjejamu

I find that the command hooks do not work very well if the walls are textured very much.. They stick well to wood cabinets I have. Yes you need to pay attention to how much weight each hook is rated to hold.
  • Smartpazzler

I like your pot. Could you please post pics of your coffee cabinet, even if it's not DIY? I'd love to DIY a similar cabinet. What's it say on the glass? Thanks!
  • Patricia Amos Denney

Why not put the mod podge on the pot esp. if using a slippery scarf?
  • Fay34273850

could you use this for a clear vase

• Lisa Sinclair

Why not? I say try anything once. If you can "glue" lace to a window......

• Cheri

Since it's been a while you may already have found out, but in case you didn't, the answer is yes you can mod podge the fabric to glass. I think using some type of clear container will look really nice. Depending on the fabric you could have a translucent look and I think that would be a cool looking container.

• A

How can make a candle with design with mode podge.