Pat Ruge
Pat Ruge
  • Tutorial Team
  • Murrieta, CA

Garage Storage Bins

$0

Got stuff? Get organized with these "freebies"
Buttercream Buckets
Buttercream Buckets
These buckets are free for the asking. I shop at Ralphs/Krogers, Stater Bros., and Albertsons where they decorate the cakes in their bakery dept. All you have to do is ask if they have any empties you can have. If they tell you, "No, not at this time", then ask them to save them for you and check back in a few days. They are happy to do this as they throw them in the recycle bin. I had to make several trips to collect as many as I needed.
Collect the buckets, and clean out the remaining buttercream. This is a messy task, because of all the butter in the icing, so I first scrap out as much as I can and then wash them out.
Stack-able with lids
Stack-able with lids
Sort by category items to be stored and labeled with permanent marker. The scaffold I used to store them on, I owned already, but any shelving will do the trick. I especially like the fact that I could stack two, one on top another. Before labeling, I started with general labels, such as "Electrical", "Plumbing" etc. When it looked as though I need second bin, I tried to break down the category and keep like things together.
For this project, I collected like buckets. However, I have also collected the 5 gallon and smaller round buckets, but that's a different project to share later.

• Free buckets  (Supermarkets with decorated cakes)
  • Scaffold or shelves  (Owned previously)

• Tell me more about the square buckets. You say supermarkets with decorated cakes. Do you mean like the bakery department at the grocery store? I'll have to check out my Safeway if that is what you mean!

• Clair

Was going to mention what Debbie said. My next-door neighbor gets big buckets of cat litter; being as it’s new, dry & clean, would be much easier to wash than icing buckets, & always free. Maybe hit up the animal shelter, pet shops, advertise on craigslist, or ask all your friends with cats to save them for you?