DIY Pipe Clothing Rack

$30

Did you get to take a tour of our new office space on What’s up Wednesday’s post?? If not check it out here!! We have been busy transforming the space with lots of paint, sanding and fun new projects. One of the rooms in the office will be our “showroom” where we will be able to show off fabulous pieces from locals whom we love. We are SO excited about this partnership, more to come on that soon! But another item we will be “showcasing” are our oh so fashionable aprons and jackets. Believe it or not people often ask to buy them at events! After a few peeps asking we thought, heck why not have zesters sporting some fun garb. SOOOOoooo with that we will soon have our online shop with some awesome swag for you! (just in time for the holidays might I add) Of course we needed a fun way to display the aprons and jackets so we set out to make a clothing rack that would fit our rustic and industrial theme in the shop. Check out this easy tutorial…. Photo Credit Anya McInroyOriginal Block Link
First I assembled my “T” with the pipes and the T connector to create my rack and arms, this was a simple screw in…
Next I drilled in the wheels to the bottom of the wood plank…
Once I had the wheels secure and my “T” in place I wanted the wood to really “pop” so I did a quick coat over the wood with some polyurethane….
Voila! I can’t wait to go hang some Zesty swag!!

• Wooden Plank  (We scored our wooden plank from a scrap wood working yard!)
  • 4 wheels  (Ace Hardware)
  • 1 flange  (Ace Hardware)

Zest it Up

• Joan

Will it get to top heavy and tip over,what will keep it steady ?

• Shawna Bailey

If the clothes are pretty evenly dispersed on the two sides than it shouldn't tip

• Deborah Lindsey

Wouldn't making the board wider alleviate the ing issue?

• Zest it Up

Hi There! A wider base would definitely make it sturdier but also making sure that the clothes are evenly distributed on either side will make sure that it doesn't tip!

• Put8477154

I would add 2 end bars to make more sturdy. The ends add a u bracket then add another pipe to go to bottom then attach with a base to attach to board. Do on both ends.

• Chichi

Any idea how much weight the arms can take? I need something to hang life jackets on at the lake house? I have about 20 in different sizes.

• Shawna Bailey

This can't take that much weight

• Deborah Lindsey

Use heavier pipe and wider base maybe?

• Zest it Up

Hi there! Using a wider base would definitely help counteract the weight of the life jackets as well as using two poles coming down on either side to balance everything!

• Diane Thomas Davenport

Use threaded galvanized pipe to hold more weight. Seems like the base should be the same width as the top.
    • Diane Thomas Davenport

• C

Most heavy duty racks have 4 legs for strength and balance. I love your idea but would make it with 4 legs and make then you wouldn't require a wooden base.
    • Carolyn

Even with 4 legs are not sturdy, I have gone through several boughton ones & they adventurely leaned sideways.

• Cha

Can you help? I can't locate a 6 foot free-standing towel rack and I need one for my extra tall upstairs guest bathroom and especially for my luxurious bath towel sheets for us "large gals". Do you know how I could make one with 6-arms at different heights and out of something water-resistant? Appreciate any help... cha

• Shawna Bailey

You could make it from pvc pipes and paint it with Rustoleum spray paint, which sticks to plastic very well

• Zest it Up

Shawna has a great idea! You could also use the pipes like we did in this DIY

• Joye R. Foster

I suggest a ladder.

• Michele Morgan

I'm pretty sure they have 4-way connectors that you can use to add more levels as well as various sizes of pipes. If the towels are the good thick ones you might want to make it with a pipe on each side kinda like a ladder just wider. I think that would hold the weight better. Hope this helps give you some ideas!

• Rosemaie Medrano

I want to have a yard sale. But I don't have anything to hang my nice clothes. Would this be good 4 that. And how long can u make this.

• Donna

I was wondering about this for garage sale items too. I was also thinking that if you had a pool you could use it to hang towels on - we don't but it might make a decent coat rack for the winter coats.

• Donna

Any idea what the final cost would be?

• Chris

Will this tip over if weight isn’t evenly distributed on both arms?

• Sharvet

I'm very inspired now had the same idea will get one done for myself now thank you.

• Linda Abate

I love this pipe rack. Just the thing I need in my laundry room. Surely would make it easier to hang clothes instead of piling them up. LOVE IT.