Remedy for Wallpaper Nightmare!

$175.00

We tried to remove wallpaper for years! We couldn't just paint over it and redoing the drywall was out of the question.
We used 8" strips of wood cut from 1/4" underlayment and painted white to get the shiplap look. My husband liked the wood but I wanted it white.
This was our first DIY project but couldn't be happier with the results!
Some gaps are a bit wider than others but I feel it adds character! I included some project pictures.
What a nightmare!
This was when we finally gave up on trying to remove the paper! Trust me we tried it all.
Corners were not a concern. Added 1/4 round.
We tried to space using coins but it wasn't always perfect. I think it added character! We started at the top and worked our way down completing one wall before moving on. We used liquid nail on the back and tacked down with paneling nails.
Perfect to us!
After hanging all the wood we added 1/4 round to corners and trim to top and bottom. We painted white and done! No more wallpaper!
Wall from first picture.
May not be perfect but much better than the wallpaper lurking behind the wood!

• Thin underlayment.  (Home Depot)
  • Behr Premium Ultra white paint  (Home Depot)

• Star

Are your walls, under the wall paper, plaster& lath or Sheetrock? We have lath & everytime we try to remove UGLY vinyl wallpaper the plaster starts crumbling. Paint has peeled off the Vinyl paper. It's a rental that I'm willing to put some time & a little money into because the space is amazing. Thanks ANYBODY for an idea.

• Patricia Schipf

Wall paint was probably only first coat. Needed final coat or primer before paper ever used.

• Sne7598662

Mine had Sheetrock but in the spots we tried continually to remove the wallpaper it was down to the chalk layer inside the drywall. It was either replace the drywall or cover it completely. We chose the latter. Hope that helps. 😄

• Joan LeVasseur

I have lath and plaster and haven't had any problems removing wallpaper. I peel off most of the top layer of the paper then I wet the underneath paper and let it almost dry then wet it again and use a wide plastic tool to remove the under paper. I have done it many times. It just takes a while to do it.

• Pat White

Use vinegar and water and let the paper soak for a while

• Pj

Go to lowes buy Venetian plaster and apply over wall....sand down fill in gaps put more on sand again.....nice soft looking texture and new looking wall

• Dalethomason

I used pattern flat sheets & poster tape on ugly cement block walls In first apt. Friends took forever to figure it out, lol.

• Stacy Hogan

Downy and water in a spray bottle took off our wallpaper!

• Teri Bliven

What is the thin underlayment for?

• Could you please tell me how to remove the popcorn ceiling in thing that what you call it please help

• Sne7598662

My ceiling is not popcorn it is stippled. Popcorn can be removed with moisture from what I've heard. Stippled can't be removed.

• Dyana Wilson

Wet popcorn ceiling and scrape off.

• Patriciaclarkturner

It looks easy from what I have seen on the TV shows. Spray small areas with a spray bottle wetting good. the just scrape off. Messy but easy. I suggest a drop cloth.

• Patriciaclarkturner

Also I saw someone suggest painting the wood first so the edges get covered good.

• Kristine Kelley Bailey

Always find out first if your popcorn ceiling has asbestos content before you try to remove it. There is a method of a scraper attached to a shopvac hose that sucks up the material while you are scraping, saving a huge mess from dropping to your head and floors.
  • Teresa Kelley

What is Durabond? How does it work? I'm in Desperate need of wall repair due to old wallpaper in practically every room causing sheetrock damage! HELP Please THANKS