The Best Way to Store Christmas Lights

$0

When it comes time to put away your Christmas lights, I hope you remember this amazing decoration storage idea. My lights always tend to get all tangled, and no matter how nicely I store them, I always find them tangled next year when I open my decor box. Well, not anymore! I found this trick online and thought it was genius! You can organize large amounts of string lights and keep them from tangling just with a hanger. So this year when putting away your lights, do this trick and have an easy time putting up your lights next year.
I’m sure this scene is familiar to you, my lights tangle literally 2 minutes after I unroll them new from the box. It’s so frustrating, every year we throw away some lights because during the detangling they get disconnected from their plugs in a way that isn’t worth repairing.
Step 1: Gather Your Supplies
All I used for this project was an old hanger and a big bunch of tangled lights. I was able to fit on each hanger three or four lengths of fairy lights.
Step 2: Wrap Up Your Lights
I started at the groove in the shoulder of the hanger. I hooked the end of the light through the groove and started wrapping.
I wrapped two lengths of lights around each side of the hanger. Next year when I take them out I can just carry the hanger with me and unroll the lights right onto my porch. No fuss no mess.
Look how neat that looks! So much better than the tangle it was before.
Now my lights won’t tangle with everything in this box.

These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
23 Valentine's Day DIY Ideas That You Don't Want To Miss
3 Brilliant Ideas How to Use Photo Frames
12 Christmas Home Tours You're SO Going To Fall For
18 Wintery Wreath Ideas That You'll Want To Make For Your Home
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas

• Lyn30117646
    Lyn30117646

Would this work with wooden hangers?
    • Sara Curry Smith
      Sara Curry Smith

Probably not; this technique involves having that indentation on the hanger’s shoulder where you hook the end of the lights before you start wrapping.

• Shawn
    Shawn

I have an idea about putting them away. Why not put a rod in a plastic container and then you could hang all your lights in the container. Just a thought.

• Meredyth
    Meredyth

Any ideas for Net lights?

• Tracy Jones Hensley
    Tracy Jones Hensley

For my tree we have used the net lights for shrubs. They wrap really nice around the tree. This year we only used two of them, but I usually use 3. When I take them off I fold them like a sheet. Super easy and no untangling to deal with.

• Linda
    Linda

I'm sorry. I said something about cutting the end off the lights. Well, I looked at it again. I'm so crazy!! Lol. You was pulling it through the cardboard slit. I'm sorry.