How would I take off wine label & place back on bottle?

I have used a hair dryer for a couple of minutes but not always with success. What is the best way to remove a wine label and place it back on the bottle?
  • Linda T Linda T on Nov 24, 2013
    I don't know how to do it with the new glues they use nowadays, but I have a funny story of a label for you. I lived in Saudi Arabia, where alcohol and any religion besides Islam is illegal, so my girlfriend called to see if I could go with her to Jordan for the worst 4 days of Ramadan, as our husbands were working and we needed a break. We went and did all the usual tourist stuff, including Petra, where part of, 'Indiana Jones and the last Crusade' was shot. Mostly though, we drank a lot of alcohol! Anyway, looking for lunch at the airport before going home, I spotted a bottle of red wine with The Virgin Mary on the label, so after drinking it, I asked a man behind the food counter to take the label off, so I could take it with me. He spoke very little English, but seemed to get the idea. We watched as he rain gallons of steaming water, only to return with the SHINY CLEAN BOTTLE !!!!!! The label GONE! Down the drain!!!!!! I SO wanted that religious icon to display in my Saudi house! Served me right, I guess, for wanting to insult the horrible locals, even though they would never be able to see it. Needless to say, we laughed all the way to Jeddah!
  • Susan Kneale Susan Kneale on Nov 25, 2013
    Preheat oven 350. Place bottle in the oven for 10 min. Use oven gloves when taking it out and working with the hot bottle. Use a single edged razor blade to slowly work label off starting on one side. Label can be pulled off slowly.
  • Jennifer Ogilvie Jennifer Ogilvie on Jan 19, 2015
    I've had good luck removing some types of labels (the ones that are more like stickers) by filling the empty bottle with really hot tap water & letting it sit for several minutes. Pour out water and repeat. Pour out water and, very carefully, peel label by lifting one corner and sliding your fingernail down the edge. Then, gently pull label from that edge until it's off. If you are trying to collect several labels, they can be temporary stored on a piece of waxed paper and pressed in a heavy book. Labels that have been glued on are a bit trickier and I usually attempt to remove but ultimately throw the whole darn bottle away!