Deco Mesh Christmas Flower Wreath Tutorial

This is a tutorial for a deco mesh flower wreath. I am using Christmas colors since it's the holiday season, but you can use any colors you like! You'll end up with a beautiful wreath to compliment any home decor!
Supplies Needed
Supplies Needed

To BUY this stunning mesh Christmas flower wreath, click here!

For this wreath I am using 4 colors of deco mesh. The green and white will be for the back layer or the "leaves". The striped and gold mesh will be used for all of the flower "petals".
You can use either 21 inch wide or 10 inch wide mesh. The 21 inch will need to be cut down to approximately 10.5 inches wide, as all of the mesh pieces need to be about 10 x 10 inches. (So you would cut a 10 inch long piece, and then cut that in half) It's okay if all the pieces aren't exact, it's not noticeable once it's on the frame.
You will need 80 pieces of mesh - 10 green, 10 white, 30 striped, and 30 gold. Two pieces of mesh go into each pipe cleaner, so you will need 40 pipe cleaners (I cut 20 regular sized pipe cleaner in half). There is a lot of mesh to be cut for this project, which is why I recommend using a rotary cutter and a cutting mat in order to save time, and your sanity.
deco mesh christmas flower wreath tutorial, crafts, gardening, how to, wreaths
Now that all your mesh is cut, it's time to start attaching those pieces! The white and green mesh are for the outer ring of leaves so start with those. With the "good" side down, fold in opposite corners as shown.
Scrunch the mesh right down the middle of the corners you just folded in so it looks like a bow tie.
Now give it a twist so that the "good" side of the petals are facing out. This may take some practice to get used to doing it. Also, until you get used to holding the mesh in your fingers, use a chip clip or binder clip to hold this piece in that shape.
Now take a green piece and fold in the corners and bow tie scrunch it like the white piece.
If you've got your white piece clipped, un clip it, and put the green piece in the middle of the white piece.
Wrap a pipe cleaner over the middle of the pieces and secure it with a few twists.
Then secure your pipe cleaner on the outermost ring of the wire wreath frame with some more good twists! Each ring on the frame will get 10 bunches of petals. I start on a crossbar and work my way around. You will have 5 bunches on the crossbars and 5 bunches evenly spaced in between those on this ring.
Here's what the first layer looks like completed. Whee!
The rest of the 3 layers will all be the striped and the gold mesh. Use one piece of each in each bunch. (For this wreath, the gold mesh is the bow tie piece, and the striped is the one that gets twisted.)
Tip: The twisted piece will always be the forefront color, and the bow tie piece will be the background color
Alternate these bunches on the next ring in between the ones you placed on the outer ring. Don't worry about being exactly perfect, they may slide a bit until all the layers are on. The bunches on the following ring match up with the placement of the ones on the outermost ring. As you work further into the middle ring, the bunches are getting closer together, so once again, don't stress over being exactly perfect. The innermost ring is going to be tight, so just aim for getting 2 bunches in between the 5 cross bars.
So now that all of the petals are done, it's time to make the center swirl. I used the gold, striped and white mesh for this one. Cut a 55 inch long piece of each color and zip tie them together. Leave about a 3 to 4 inch tail. Now you are going to braid the mesh. Yes, you read that correctly. Braid it.
Braid it as long as you can, as you will most likely have one color that starts running out and that where you zip tie that end. Mesh sticks to itself. Although this part is not hard, it will test the limits of your patience. Don't let the mesh win, you got this! Leave about a 5 inch tail on this end and trim the rest off. Your swirl will measure about 6 inches in diameter.
Take the shorter tail and fold it in to start your swirl. Then just wrap the braid around itself until you have a circle. Flip your mesh circle over and while you hold it as tightly as you can, put enough hot glue on it so it holds the circle shape. Hold it until it dries. Watch your fingers. Hot glue is hot. It hurts.
While the swirl fully dries, cut out a 6 inch round piece of cardboard (any old box will do). Poke 4 holes in it around the edge for the zip ties. Hot glue the swirl to the cardboard. I find it easier to push the swirl into the center ring by going from the back of the wreath. It will be a tight fit so you may have to work it a little bit to get it in there. Once it's in, use the zip ties to secure the swirl to the frame.

Since you've cut mesh, it will fray. No way around it. You can trim the stray pieces with scissors (never pull) and then spray the wreath with a light coating of adhesive spray (spray glue) to keep the fray at bay.
The finished wreath measures approximately 26 inches around and 12 inches deep. It can be displayed inside or in a covered or protected area outside.
All of the materials used can be found at your local craft or hobby stores as well as online.
I hope you've enjoyed this tutorial and please don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have!

This post contains affiliate links

• Deco Mesh
  • 10 inch box wire wreath frame (4 rings)
  • Pipe Cleaners

• TrishR

Am I missing something? The directions go from placing braided mesh glued to the cardboard on the wreath form to seeing a picture of the finished product and you saying that the mesh will fray so spray it with glue. I don't see instructions on how and where to cut the braid to get the flower. Or is that what you do? If I've missed it somewhere, please let me know. It's absolutely beautiful, so I'd like to give it a try. Thanks!

• The15961911

Do you offer a tutorial for the "Sunflower Poof Wreath"? It's gorgeous and I've searched, but couldn't find it.

• The15961911

I searched Pinterest and found something similar - thank you for answering, though.

• Karen Merritt3

Beautiful job! Each time I've used it unraveled terribly. How do you keep it from unraveling?
    • Nancy Smith

have someone hold the first end for you or put the end in a drawer and then close the drawer tight help ful?

• Tia Hauck

Beautiful! Your instructions are understandable, too!!! I never exactly knew how this was done...thank you for sharing!!! I’ll hv to give it a try!!!👍🏼

• Cla1402935

Angel making