ALTERNATIVE OUTDOOR CHRISTMAS LIGHTING IDEA

I really did not want to decorate this year. I wanted to be lazy and have a stress free Christmas without freezing my butt off while trying to hang outdoor decorations, then doing it all over again while I take them all down. But I knew I would miss seeing bright, colorful Christmas lights when I come home from work in the evening.
I had an idea that has been at the back of my mind for months now and this was the season to implement it. It involved PVC plumbing pipe. At the hardware store you can actually buy this stuff by the roll. I bought 20 feet. The roll is great as it would fit in the car as opposed to 20 feet of non bending straight pipe.
I also bought four of these "T" pipe connectors to attach to the pipe at each cut in the pipe that needed to hold the center pieces. I also needed lots of thin wire. Have you figured out what I am making yet?
I made a Peace Sign that lights up! I love this more than you will ever know. It was a bit of a pain to make. Once I got the pipe home it was great for the outside round circle but I couldn't get it to go straight for the middle pieces. But I worked with it using a blow dryer and got it to a stage where I liked it. Once it was together I wrapped the whole thing with chrome colored duct tape to reflect all the lights.
The wire held the strip lighting in place on the circle and for the center I just wrapped the lighting around the pipe. You could wrap the lighting around the whole thing and omit the wire but I wanted all the lights to be pointing outward and not waste them on the back of the piece.
This is the lighting I used for this project. It wasn't cheap. It cost $30.00 for one strand and I used 2 to complete it. But to me it is worth it. I am going to move it after Christmas so I can have it up all year round, so the money spent is not just for a couple weeks of one season. I can enjoy this all year.
Here it is at dusk. This thing is so bright it could replace the city street light out front of the house.
Here it is inside before I took it outside. I love the flowers on this as it goes with the whole hippie thing I was going for plus it makes it more acceptable for a year round decoration. I am in Hippie Heaven! If you want to see what else I made to hang beside the peace sign you might just want to head over to my blog and have a look.
http://www.katfromthehat.com/christmas-decoration-of-the-year/

• PVC plumbing pipe  (Hardware Store)
  • T connectors  (Hardware Store)
  • Christmas strip lighting  (Hardware Store)

21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
21 Ways To Use Those Pickle Jars You've Been Saving
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
KAT