Tara Shahan Hensley
Tara Shahan Hensley
  • West Plains, MO

"Rusty" - The Old Bed Spring Snowman

All the rage these days are bed springs. Learn how to turn an old rusty bed spring into an adorable snowman for your winter home décor. Don't have a bed spring? Don't worry; you can make one too.
 rusty the old bed spring snowman

To BUY this adorable rusty snowman, click here!

Step 1: Gather supplies. Gather what you have around the house or left over from previous projects. Fabric scraps, miscellaneous buttons, Christmas garland, etc. are all things I already had.
 rusty the old bed spring snowman
This rusty bed spring I found at a flea market; but if you can't find one you can always make your own as explained in the next step.
 rusty the old bed spring snowman
Step 2: You will need about a yard of 16 gauge wire. Coil the wire in a circle as shown and then just pull the middle coil upward to form your bed spring and adjust as necessary to achieve the look that you want.
 rusty the old bed spring snowman
Step 3: Modge Podge your entire Styrofoam ball and let dry. You can cut your toilet paper roll in half and use one portion to sit your ball on. This makes painting the Modge Podge on a lot easier. You will want to apply several coats of Modge Podge sanding between each coat to smooth out the surface.
 rusty the old bed spring snowman
Step 4: Paint your Styrofoam ball with the cream colored paint. I used Americana Light Buttermilk. Set aside and let dry.
 rusty the old bed spring snowman
Step 5: Prepare your snowman hat. Cut two 3 1/2" circles from the black felt and one 1 1/2" circle. You also need to cut a strip to fit the other half of your toilet paper roll.
 rusty the old bed spring snowman
Step 6: Once you have all of your snowman hat pieces cut out you will assemble them by hot gluing them together. I also like to blanket stitch around the outside of the bottom and top of the hat too but that is totally optional. You can leave the hat as is if you choose.
 rusty the old bed spring snowman
Step 7: Embellish your snowman hat. For this hat I have used a sprig of garland and tied a piece of the red check fabric around the hat. I've also cut a heart out of the same fabric and glued onto the front of the hat. You can choose to use burlap, holly, pine cones, etc. to adorn your hat. It's really up to you.
 rusty the old bed spring snowman
Step 8: Hot glue the Styrofoam ball onto the top of the bed spring and insert your nose. Draw the snowman eyes with a black Sharpie. You could also certainly use black paint as well. I just prefer the Sharpie.
 rusty the old bed spring snowman
Step 9: Paint the snowman nose orange. You can also add rosey cheeks using the red paint (which I forgotten to do on this snowman). Just use a very dry brush with a small amount of paint in a circular motion or your finger works just as well. Hot glue on the snowman hat.
 rusty the old bed spring snowman
Step 10: Tie on scarf. For this snowman I chose the same red check fabric as the hat. I've tied it on with a bit of twine and used a little bit of hot glue to hold it in place.
 rusty the old bed spring snowman
Step 11: Add button embellishments. Hot glue the buttons to each ring on the front of the snowman. I also chose to glue garland clippings onto the buttons before attaching to the snowman.
 rusty the old bed spring snowman
Rusty the Snowman is complete. Since he is made of rust; I'm sure he won't melt away. Enjoy.

rusty the old bed spring snowman

• Bed Spring or 16 Gauge Wire
  • 3" Styrofoam Ball
  • Black Felt

Tara Shahan Hensley

• Cyn27563097

anyway, very cute- I think I'm going to make this snowman! Thank you for posting!!!
  • Ellie

I am certainly going to do this one for Christmas! It’s adorable and so cute