"Rusty" - The Old Bed Spring Snowman

All the rage these days are bed springs. Learn how to turn an old rusty bed spring into an adorable snowman for your winter home décor. Don't have a bed spring? Don't worry; you can make one too.

To BUY this adorable rusty snowman, click here!

Step 1: Gather supplies. Gather what you have around the house or left over from previous projects. Fabric scraps, miscellaneous buttons, Christmas garland, etc. are all things I already had.
This rusty bed spring I found at a flea market; but if you can't find one you can always make your own as explained in the next step.
Step 2: You will need about a yard of 16 gauge wire. Coil the wire in a circle as shown and then just pull the middle coil upward to form your bed spring and adjust as necessary to achieve the look that you want.
Step 3: Modge Podge your entire Styrofoam ball and let dry. You can cut your toilet paper roll in half and use one portion to sit your ball on. This makes painting the Modge Podge on a lot easier. You will want to apply several coats of Modge Podge sanding between each coat to smooth out the surface.
Step 4: Paint your Styrofoam ball with the cream colored paint. I used Americana Light Buttermilk. Set aside and let dry.
Step 5: Prepare your snowman hat. Cut two 3 1/2" circles from the black felt and one 1 1/2" circle. You also need to cut a strip to fit the other half of your toilet paper roll.
Step 6: Once you have all of your snowman hat pieces cut out you will assemble them by hot gluing them together. I also like to blanket stitch around the outside of the bottom and top of the hat too but that is totally optional. You can leave the hat as is if you choose.
Step 7: Embellish your snowman hat. For this hat I have used a sprig of garland and tied a piece of the red check fabric around the hat. I've also cut a heart out of the same fabric and glued onto the front of the hat. You can choose to use burlap, holly, pine cones, etc. to adorn your hat. It's really up to you.
Step 8: Hot glue the Styrofoam ball onto the top of the bed spring and insert your nose. Draw the snowman eyes with a black Sharpie. You could also certainly use black paint as well. I just prefer the Sharpie.
Step 9: Paint the snowman nose orange. You can also add rosey cheeks using the red paint (which I forgotten to do on this snowman). Just use a very dry brush with a small amount of paint in a circular motion or your finger works just as well. Hot glue on the snowman hat.
Step 10: Tie on scarf. For this snowman I chose the same red check fabric as the hat. I've tied it on with a bit of twine and used a little bit of hot glue to hold it in place.
Step 11: Add button embellishments. Hot glue the buttons to each ring on the front of the snowman. I also chose to glue garland clippings onto the buttons before attaching to the snowman.
Rusty the Snowman is complete. Since he is made of rust; I'm sure he won't melt away. Enjoy.

• Bed Spring or 16 Gauge Wire
  • 3" Styrofoam Ball
  • Black Felt

23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut
15 Ways to Spice up Your Floors
3 Gorgeous Decor Projects In The Oh-So-Chic Geometric Style
3 Easy Ways to Make The Cutest Coasters for Your House
16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives

• Cheryl Wencl

I made these but my buttons keep falling off from the hot glue, any suggestions

• Diana Matthews-Cox

What did you use for the nose?

• Tara Shahan Hensley

The small dowel rod that was sharpened with a pencil sharpener is used for the nose but you could use a crayon, pencil or anything like that.

• Connie Niffen Pratt

How do you make the nose

• Colleen O

I actually took a piece of orange felt and at one corner started wrapping it around a toothpick (make sure to put a little bit of glue on the tip of the felt to stick it to the toothpick). Then just roll and depending on how big you want the nose. Glue the end and once dry, I cut it with my exacto knife. Came out great!

• Ellie

I am certainly going to do this one for Christmas! It’s adorable and so cute

• Judy

I was looking just for this tutorial! Thank you for being so thorough. It's very cute