DIY 'COPPER' PAINTED TRAY AND PAINTED VOTIVES

Use Frog Tape, a Paper Punch and Copper Spray Paint to transform ordinary votives and a simple wooden tray into something special for the holidays, or any day!
On a day in a month when my to-do list is longer than my arm, I found myself punching stars out of Frog Tape, applying them to the votives and the tray, and then spray painting everything. I think this is technically called 'reverse stencilling'.
I found the votives at our local Habitat for Humanity ReStore. I was there looking for a window, which I did't find. But my creating Kismet angels were on my shoulder, I found 6 of these votives and I'm so very glad I did. I love the final products.
diy copper painted tray and painted votives
After sanding the tray, I applied a coat of white spray paint. Mine was glossy, but use whatever you have. Very little of the white will be showing at the end.
The key to punching the shapes out of tape is to slide the tape into the punch with the not sticky side pushed up against the top of the punch. I used a 1/2" star punch like this one.
Apply your stars to the surface of your choice. Why is that trying to get a random pattern is really hard? Have you ever noticed that? I kept getting my stars in straight lines.
I gave the tray a good coat of Krylon Premium Copper Metallic Brilliance Spray paint, let it dry and then did another coat. This is the paint I used. After the middle dried, I reused my stars on the sides.
The frog tape peels off so easily and leave a very crisp line.
I repeated the same process for the votives. I made sure they were clean (ran them through the dishwasher) before I stuck the stars on them. When I spray painted, I only wanted the paint on the outside of the votive, so I stuffed a wad of paper inside to prevent the paint from drifting on to the inside of the votive.
And I love them at night.
I also used the votives as 'pots' for some wee Christmas trees in my impromptu Christmas Village.
While I made this to use in my Christmas decorations this year, I also think I'll get use from them year round. They aren't specifically 'Christmas' and in fact I can definitely see using them for Fourth of July decorations and serving.
So there you have it...a little paint, a little tape, a paper punch and you can decorate just about anything!

• Krylon Metallic Spray Paint in Copper  (Michaels)
  • Paper Punch  (Michaels)
  • Frog Tape  (Home Depot)

Lynn @ Nourish and Nestle

• Gaye

Really great

• Carole White

Such a great idea...thanks for sharing this!! I have lots of copper color in my home, but nothing this ingenious; will definitely be trying :)