One Unique Way to Give Your Christmas Cards a New Home

$0.00

I absolutely love getting Christmas cards in the mail and sending out Christmas cards in the mail every year. We like to include a little letter update about our past year and pictures of the kids on our card. It's a fun way to document our family's journey. When other people send us theirs, I love seeing how their families have grown, or simply enjoy the beautiful card with a sweet message.
But, after Christmas is over, I am not sure what to do with all these sweet cards, letters, and pictures. It seems a shame to throw them all away! That's why it's great to have a specific purpose for these wonderful cards we receive every year. At the link at the bottom of this post you will find 40 different ideas of what to do with Christmas cards, and leftover wrapping paper.
Today, I'm showing you a fun, crafty, way to reuse Christmas cards by using them as the materials needed to create a beautiful little Christmas village.
The bottom template is the BHG one.
This Christmas Village idea was featured over on Better Homes and Garden - http://www.bhg.com/christmas/crafts/christmas-card-projects/ - and I thought it was super cute and wanted to try it myself!
To get started, I printed off the BHG template, but it's pretty easy to make your own. I was surprised when their template only had one, though their picture of their card village showed houses of different sizes.
I adapted their house template and created two more house templates, both with a base of 6 inches long, simply adjusting the height and width for each.
I overlayed the templates on Christmas cards, traced them, cut them out.
Then I flipped them over and scored them with a pen, against the straight edge of my ruler, then folded them where the corners of the buildings would be.
I used a small piece of tape or two and secured the corners of the house together. Then I cut out pieces for the roof, using measurements about 1/8" bigger than the length and width of the roof base. Then I taped it to the base of the house.
From here it is a matter of creating a few more homes using your templates and having fun embellishing them with pieces of other Christmas cards to create windows, doors, wreathes, stars, whatever you desire to make your Christmas Card Village truly unique and beautiful!
I chose to stick with houses more of the same shade and color, but you don't have to!
Head over to the link below to see even more great ideas of what to do with Christmas cards!

• Christmas Cards
  • Tape
  • Craft Glue  (Craft Store)

The Cutest Ways to Decorate Your Front Porch for Easter!
These Stunning Seating Ideas Will Blow You Away
29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House
25 Impressive Ways You Can Update Your Ikea Purchases!
Katelyn Fagan

• James
    James

Any suggestions for upholstery samples,,, 4×6. 8×10?

• Cee
      Cee

Hi James!

There are so many different things you could make with those..the first question, do you sew? If yes, you could make a really simple door stop with 3 of your 8x10’s. One for the back, one for the front and one cut in strips for the bottom and sides. Don’t forget to sew the corners on the bottom diagonally and trim so it will sit flat. You can use another smaller piece, cut two narrow strips for handles. Fill with rice or dried grain/wheat and voila! An inexpensive, beautiful door stop for yourself or to gift to someone!