DIY Wood Shim Box

Hey, everyone!! I have missed you all! I took a couple weeks away from the blog to prepare for the Thorndale Christmas Home Tour. My mother and I decorate one of the homes of the tour and this is our second year doing it. We have so much fun, but it is A LOT of work… like A LOT! We pretty much empty the store and decorate someone else’s home. I had a professional photographer come in and take pictures, so those will be coming soon! I can’t wait to show you all, but for now, I have a quick and easy DIY to share.
Seriously guys, this DIY is soooo easy!
I made this decorative box with an old cardboard box and some wood shims.
I have had these wood shims kickin around for quite a while and I have wanted to use them for a DIY forever!
All I did was grab my trusty hot glue gun and I started gluing on the wood shims to the box.
This couldn’t be any easier!
You will notice there is some overhang on the box, that is ok! I will show you the tool I used to cut it off in a bit, but first, notice how I placed the shims?
I alternated the thick ends. I did this because I wanted the box to have a cool look. Almost like the wood is protruding in spots.
This is the tool that I used to cut off the overhang.
What is it? I have no idea LOL … if you know, please tell me. I found them in the tool box. It is basically like an Exacto knife/scissors. Love it, though!
Time for the big reveal!
Notice my daughter’s ornament? She made that in school — it is one of my favs!
One would never know that this is a cardboard box!
You will notice that I also stained the wood. I wanted the box to look a little darker. I used Early American from Minwax.
Let me know what you think about this project and share with all your friends! We all love the quick and easy DIYs!

31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas
15 Perfectly Round Tables
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
The Cutest Ways to Decorate Your Front Porch for Easter!
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives
Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
Holly Grace

• Faye Muir West

How much do wood shims cost?

• Holly Grace

Hi Faye, I got my bundle for $4 and some odd cents and. I had enough to do the whole box and then some. Price would be dependent on where you live and how big your box is :)