Laci Jane DIY
Laci Jane DIY
  • Indianapolis, IN

DIY Filing Cabinet Makeover

$10

I’m working on a budget. I got these filing cabinets from Habitat for Humanity ReStore for a couple bucks and wanted to repurpose them to make my desk. I knew I wanted to use card pull label holders because not only do I love the way they look on furniture, I also love being organized!
diy filing cabinet makeover, kitchen cabinets, kitchen design
I took my measurements and picked up craft board from Lowe's.

The first thing I had to do was remove the existing pulls to create a flat work surface. I failed to get a picture of that, but I do have it on the YouTube tutorial. It was fairly easy, they just popped right out. Here’s what the filing cabinet looked like after the handles were out.
I cut them to the length needed
Using wood glue and clamps, I adhered the wood pieces to the front of the filing cabinet how I wanted them to look. *EDIT* I would suggest sanding down the filing cabinet first and use Loctite Heavy Duty Epoxy Glue instead of wood glue. This will ensure a more secure grip.
Using wood clamps to ensure to slipping while the glue dries... (You can use a shim for a separation between the slats of wood, if needed.)
I painted my filing cabinet with spray paint
Then I measured and marked where I wanted the cabinet pulls to go. I used a drill bit to drill thru only the craft board. The screws that come with the label pulls are short enough that it only needs to go through the craft board.
Then I simply screwed in my label pulls.
I am so happy with how it turned out.
I spray painted just a light dust of gold metallic spray paint on the label pulls so that they would show up better against the dark paint.
Then I labeled the pulls accordingly
Please watch my video for more details. Please subscribe to my YouTube channel and hit the bell to be notified of new videos. I post several DIY projects on there weekly.

• Wood clamps  (https://amzn.to/2HnemFj)
  • Label pulls  (https://amzn.to/2HLGVQg)
  • Craft board  (https://amzn.to/2qR5W2r)
Laci Jane DIY

• Stephanie Marshall

I have a question about the lock at the top. You did not show what you did with that top panel to get the lock moved to the wood, and operable.

• Rhonda Fleming

These answers are true but I think the thickness of the wood brought the home for the lock out however thick the wood used was. So, the lock now would require a longer screw to make the mechanism flush with the front of board... a good hardware man should be helpful in how to do this. Similar lock on a camper shell etc...

• C

Very inspired and will try it. I'm thinking of covering the entire 2-drawer cabinet with the wood and use them for end/couch tables. Do you have any further how-to recommendations for this plan? Thank you!

• Paula Russell Knight

Where did you get the cabinet pulls?

• They are not the original pulls.

If you’ll look at the list of “Materials Used” you will see the cabinet pulls listed there AND a link to the website.

uxcell Office Chest File Cabinet 59x31mm Label Pull Frame Handle Black 8pcs

She also states that you can see what the original pulls were on her YouTube Tutorial

• Elly Miller

Great idea. I had a cheap discount store file cabinet. It was very flimsy. I used crumpled brown paper bag pieces and mod podge on sides and back (which actually made it much sturdier) and just painted the front. I think I will add wood to the front. I really love this idea. Thank you for sharing.

• Leo33344814

Great work done. Filing cabinets are one of the important furniture items which is required in every office. Some try to remake the existing filing cabinets while some find it comfortable to buy used office furniture instead of remaking. To provide top quality furniture service, office furniture solutions provide a wide range of used as well as fresh office furniture, filing cabinets, lobby furniture set and many more. To know more about the store, one can browse on the link: https://www.officesolutionsfl.com